NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics Zenithstar ZS70 2012

FLO

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always with W.O., looks stunning.

I saw this on their facebook page. One of their photos that caught my eye, showed the underside and the focuser rack. Looks very sturdy and well built focuser. Hopefully in the flesh, it'll work as well as it looks.

I have a ZS70 - I take it this is a new design? Any idea what the difference is between the old and new?

It now has a more sturdy R&P focuser. It won't have quite the same smooth action of the earlier Crayford but it will have noticeably better load bearing capacity. There might be other subtle refinements but we won't know those til we receive our first delivery (due early January).

HTH

As always with W.O., looks stunning.

I saw this on their facebook page. One of their photos that caught my eye, showed the underside and the focuser rack. Looks very sturdy and well built focuser. Hopefully in the flesh, it'll work as well as it looks.

We have a close-up of the focuser on our website. We also have this pic showing the underside.

HTH

post-12699-133877705149_thumb.jpg

Yes, with dual-speed focuser knobs an impact can push the inner bearing into the metal below creating a divot which makes the focus action rumbly (is that a word!). The cover is designed to prevent that. Moonlite do the same for their focusers.

It now has a more sturdy R&P focuser. It won't have quite the same smooth action of the earlier Crayford but it will have noticeably better load bearing capacity. There might be other subtle refinements but we won't know those til we receive our first delivery (due early January).

HTH

I was hoping for the R&P will be Feather Touch smooth. I guess that's asking too much.

I was hoping for the R&P will be Feather Touch smooth. I guess that's asking too much.

Yes, a Feathertouch focuser would cost more than the entire telescope.

We do supply some FLT telescopes with Feathertouch focusers, usually the FLT98 and FLT123, but none below £1k.

Looks very sturdy and well built focuser. Hopefully in the flesh, it'll work as well as it looks.

I was just thinking the same - I'm glad none of the money is going on a ddg that I don't really want (I say, having not used one).

So... will the price be less that the meg72? If so, colour me interested...

The design is more similar to the old ZS66 than the old ZS70, in particular the focuser appears to be the 1.6" size that the ZS66 had with the screw on 1.25" adapter that when removed leaves a standard SCT thread for attaching SCT focal reducers. This is also the same setup that my SW Equinox66 uses.

I bet this will be popular as the ZS66 is still highly regarded!

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got to played with one when I visited a foreign dealer while I was on holiday. It's very well built. Looks like a mini GT81. The R&P focuser is good quality, much better than what SW put on their cheap refractors, but not up to the same standard as a FT. I detected a bit of backlash, not much but noticeable. Having tried that and the GT81 side by side, I couldn't decide which focuser I prefer.

I can't say much about the optics, since the smog was pretty bad that day.

Archived