Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen 80m custom

nightfisher

After a rather long road trip with michael buble (i was driving he was singing) i have the new to me vixen 80m custom achromatic refractor, in very good condition, this scope recently gained a brand new objective (complete cell) so optics are like new!

very pleased with it, i shall be using it as a grab an go scope and i might well leave it at my girlfriends house to use when i am at her place.

more pics pics follow :)

post-21509-133877704753_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a very good deal, worth the journey and i had a quick peep at the moon last night, a 20mm plossl gave a full moon in the ep and very little colour, a hint of yellow at the edge but the acid test will be as the moon wans and push the magnification a bit higher, then onto those lovely doubles

Jupiter, Jupiter, Jupiter...!!!

Had a look at the mighty jupiter tonight, best view was with circle T 12.5 at x72.8 mag, got back in doors and noticed the objective and diagonal mirror not as clean as first thought so given them a clean, might try a lunar image later

• 2 months later...

As an update to this thread, the Vixen still surprises me with its very crisp views, lunar is excellent for an 80mm, proving to be a really good refractor on such a lovely alt az mount, its so quick to set up, just hope the towa 80mm does not make this scope redundant to me, i am going to scotland in a week or so and going to take the Vixen with me as i will be in the galloway region so should have dark skies to get the best out of it

Sorry only just seen your thread Jules :icon_scratch:

Your Vixen 80mm Custom is a near identical copy of my larger Vixen SP102M right down to the same livery, focuser, finder scope and mount.

My mount differs in that it has a Ash tripod instead of Aluminium but other than that it has the same so-mo controls :)

Looks in far better knick than mine as well :)

:icon_scratch::) :) OMG i have just seen on cloudy nights a picture of the Vixen 80mm.........f15, love at first sight

Do share :)

My next would be a 80mm f/15 if a decent one comes up for grabs.

I also really like the Lyra Optics kit but would have to fork out for new I suspect....

mmm their 150mm f/8 sounds interesting :D

Lyra Optic - Telescopes/Accessories

I downloaded a pic of the vixen 80mm f15, but cant find it, maybe google can help, worth looking out for an 80 f15 scope, still lots about

No probs Jules, I went looking for it on the CN website but could not see it in the reviews or articles sections so was unsure. :icon_scratch:

Will do a bit of googling instead :)

I would have to guess at the age, mid 80`s to maybe up to 1990,both vixen and orion us sold the same scope with option of aly tripod, i would have preferred the hard wood tripod but its a lovely bit of kit, and worth every penny i paid (£110)

Archived