Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen 80m custom

nightfisher

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I look forward to seeing anything on a Vixen 80mm f15. There was an orange original SP mounted 60mm f15 there a while ago. Lovely classic... and ORANGE!

Ant

I've got an old 1980's Celestron brocure which includes a 102mm F/12 orange tube refractor on a heavy duty alt-az yoke type mount. Probably made by Vixen. Sounds like just your sort of scope Ant :icon_scratch:

I'll scan a piccie and post it here when I get a moment.

• 2 months later...

I have just put a pair of tube rings and a dovetail on my little vixen 80, it has such a sweet lens and focuser, seems a shame not to use it on the EQ5 mount for some lunar work

post-21509-133877766263_thumb.jpg

Thats nice Jules.

Vixen know how to make nice scopes. Their R&P focusers were copied by Synta but the fit, finish and quality of the Vixen originals is far superior IMHO and results much better performance.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a really nice Vixen 80M - I think you know the scope Jules, bought from Richard - a few weeks ago, to use as a grab n go. Overall in very nice condition, some marks on the underside of the tube but optics are perfect and has all it's accessories.

It has the wooden tripod, which I much prefer to the aluminium version. It has the standard 0.965" eps, x 3 and in fact I like the 6mm ortho so much I've sold my Baader 6mm! I've put it permanently into a 1.25" adapter and fitted a 1.25" Vixen visual back to replace the original 0.965" version. I've also replaced the original dinky diagonal with a nice vintage Meade 1.25" prism version.

Only a couple of very quick looks so far..last night I saw Albireo and it was breathtaking: firstly with a 32mm plossl, then I got silly and put in my Agena Astro Blue Fireball 1.25" to 2" adapter - this great piece of kit allows you to use 2" eps in a 1.25" focuser, so I've gone from 0.965" eps to 2" eps in seconds :p  :p  - put in a 32mm RK 2" from GSO, lovely low cost ep, with 55 degree field. Slighty vignetting but nothing major and it comes to focus perfectly in the Vixens (very good) R&P focuser!. The colours on Albireo were stunning, golden yellow orange primary and pale blue companion, and I'm sure that the RK (Reverse Kellner) design, with it's simple 3 lens formation and superb light throughput really enhances the contrast.

Then, to be even siller, I put in my Leica zoom in 2" barrel: at 22m it gives x41 in this scope, but a slightly narrow fov of c40deg - but not at all claustrophobic though. Then I dialled up the power to the maximum 7.3mm which gives x125 - but with a field getting on for 60degrees (it delivers 68deg in a 2" focuser according to Leica, but I think it's the right side of 70deg!)..simply a superb, medium-high power view of two perfect little bullseyes with a single very steady (for once the seeing was excellent) diffraction ring, in perfect technicolour. I really think the image was up there with what my 5" D&G provides, albeit at a much lower magnification.

These little guys come up every now and again and deliver a heck of a bang for your buck - if you see one, grab it!

I'll post up some pictures as soon as time permits :laugh:

Great thread Jules!

Glad you are happy with it Dave and glad it's gone to someone that will put it to good use :smiley:

I hate seeing a good scope sat in a cupboard gathering dust!

Rick

Thanks Rick  :laugh: . It's a nice little scope. It would actually make a fabulous finder on my D&G F15 :p  :p  but I think my trusty CG5 might have something to say about that..

With modern eyepieces it serves up some great images.

cheers,

Dave

Go on John...heh heh...You know you want to!! :evil:  :grin:  :p

You folks are useless when it comes to helping restrain the urge to acquire ! :rolleyes2:

Perhaps we need a new section of the forum called "Talk Me Out of It !"  :grin:    

I saw the ad John, guy in Sweden selling? Didn't give much info on the scope though, or a price?

I know what you mean about restraint..it's hard though, isn't it, when you see a nice piece of glass for sale..I think the best cure for telescope-acquiringitis is to mention it to the other half...they invariably discourage such silly notions!

this last point on the focuser is something I completely agree with having just bought a new model 80M f11 with 2" focuser. the R&P is silky smooth

I always wondered about the huge price difference between the 1.25" and 2" versions but if the 2" focuser is so good then it's perhaps pointless to buy the cheaper 1.25" version and replace the focuser?

Regards

You folks are useless when it comes to helping restrain the urge to acquire ! :rolleyes2:

Perhaps we need a new section of the forum called "Talk Me Out of It !"  :grin:    

I emailed about this scope and got a price...........i quickly talked myself out of it.......i would rather buy a brand new 100ED for the same money

Archived