Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Io transit - 7th December 2011

lukebl

Here's a little animation of last night's Io transit. Disappointed at the lack of sharpness, hence the small size. It was lovely to watch, though.

13 images at 5 min intervals (apart from a gap in the middle when I got distracted), c 1200 frames per image, starting at 20:35. SPC900 webcam, 3x TV Barlow, 250mm f/4.7 Newt.

Jupiter_20111207.gif

Nice animation Luke. I too was observing this last night though the wind was not helping as the image was moving quita a lot and the image was in and out of focus. I also struggled to get a sharp image last night. But as you say it certainly was a nice event to watch.

Just out of interest, which software did you use to make your animation?

That's very nice. Was observing too last night and it's good to see verification of what I saw. Seeing was generally ok for me, took a bit of a dip later on but on the whole not bad.

Interesting to see how Io suddenly pops in to view when it gets over the darker region towards the limb. I didn't manage to pick it up at all last night when it was over the surface, although I didn't see it start the transit so naturally it was harder. Shadow was jet black and very clear though.

Very nice animation, thanks very much for posting

Stu

I used Photoshop CS3.

Is that free software or do you need to buy it? as you know we all love free software if it is available :).

I had read in a post a week or 2 ago that windows movie maker on windows 7 will also produce a similar result.

Archived