I don't know where to start!

I want to buy husband a telescope for Christmas, but I don’t really know the first thing about them (neither does he!) or ever where to start so would like some recommendations if anyone can help please?

I’m looking to spend between about £400 and £500, is that likely to get me something decent (and relatively easily useable/to set up for a noob)?

Not really sure I know what I would be expecting to see through it, mostly we just want to have a nose around at the night sky. I'm guessing for that sort of money you're not likely to get anything all singing, all dancing that you can see super dooper constalations and gas cloudy type things through. Like I said, completly new at this so please forgive me if I sound really dim.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi and welcome to sgl, your in the right place for some advice.

I have 2 suggestions for you with your budget, 1st will be a skywatcher 200 dobsonian, this is the cheaper option and has the largest aperture but will need collimation from time to time (alignment of mirrors)

2nd is the skywatcher evostar 100 refractor on an EQ5 mount, both scopes are listed on the first light optics webpage, see banner at top

This close to Christmas you may be limited on what's in stock...

You can be something reasonable for your budget, but giving advice as to what type/model is difficult without knowing a little more info.

What does your husband want to look at? Planets/moon or galaxies/nebula or a bit of both?

How much room do you have to store it?

A Dobsonian telescope is great value for money

skywatcher_200p_flextube_auto_thumb.jpg

This one is a GOTO (so once setup will find object for you) model and is mid point in your budget £455. It can be moved in two parts, so it will go in a car etc. It does require power - so budget for a power tank as well.

This one is bigger and without the goto, so you do not need power. It is physically bigger though - you may be surprised just how big.

DOBSKY250PX_thumb.jpg

These scopes give the best bang for buck you can get and will give great deep sky views, and will be OK on planets.

The other options would be something like this, this is great for planets/moon, not so good for Deep Sky stuff.

skywatcher_skymax_127_AZ_GOTO_thumb.jpg

Finally there is the Refractor - the traditional looking telescope. Again these are good for planets/moon not so hot on Deep sky.

ST120EQ32_thumb.jpg

If I had to make a choice based on what you've posted so far I would go for one of the first two...

Hope that helps. But any more information that you can give will help us make spending your money easier (we like spending other peoples money :) )

Cheers

Ant

Husband (read:me!) what like to look at a bit of both I think. Crumbs, when I had this idea last night I thought it would be easy to just pick one. It really isn't, is it? I don't undstand what half the words in the description of the scopes I've been looking at mean, let alone anything else! Though I did find a nice looking orange one that was £37,000 :-0 That's more than my first house cost!

Having had a bit of a poke around online, I like the idea of the GOTO telescopes. Especially whilst we are still learing. I asssume you just hook these up to a laptop? Once you know the sky a bit more, can you just use the scope without the GOTO function?

We have quite a big house with 3 large spare rooms so storage isn't an really an issue. Is it wise to keep them in a garage, or does the cold have a bad effect over time?

I remember when we were in Hawaii a few years ago we went up Mauna Kea and had a poke around at Mars with a telescope that was so big it had to be strapped to the roof of a mini bus. I'm *not* looking for something that large!

I'm quite drawn to these two, but I think the Skywatcher skymax 102 (do they have to give them such massive names?!?! ;-) ) is one of the ones you posted above that isn't that great for deep sky SkyWatcher SKYMAX-102 SynScan? AZ GOTO Maksutov-Cassegrain [10210] - 299.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

I liked this one too, but mostly for the fact it gives you a red pointer thing that you wave at what you want to see and it finds it for you! Sky-Watcher Sky Watcher Mercury 707 Synscan 70mm computerised AZ GOTO telescope astronomy starter kit I'm thinking it's probably not a very good telescope though so that puts me off a bit.

I'm guessing the more I spend the better whatever I pick will be.

go for the sky watcher 200p and spend the rest on eps and gadgets forget about the goto for a bit,its not as simple as plug in power in and telling the goto to look for mars ect ,because they do need a bit of time to set up and can lead to may headaches

a dobsonian reflector will give you great views

go for the sky watcher 200p and spend the rest on eps and gadgets forget about the goto for a bit,its not as simple as plug in power in and telling the goto to look for mars ect ,because they do need a bit of time to set up and can lead to may headaches

a dobsonian reflector will give you great views

Agree with this on an eq5. Good scope for starting out and will give good view.

For my two pence worth obviously I would recommend the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT.

First Light Optics - Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

Compact, easy to set up, easy to transport, is Goto and is well within your budget. If you went for this then I would seriously consider getting a powertank to drive the scope other wise you will be spending a fortune on batteries (which fit in a small compartment at the top of the tripod).

Yes it may not give as good views as the larger Dobs that some have recommended, but it seems to tick many of your boxes. It also comes with a couple of eyepieces as well (25mm and 9mm) so you have a couple of options for when you are viewing certain things.

Malcspring is right I would go for the Celestron 128 SLT Nexstar Scope and believe me its a gr8 scope but I have the Skywatcher 127 version and its awesome for the moon and planets and some deep sky also, Its compact and light and powerful and gr8 value for money and easy to use. The 200p Dobsonian Scopes are good but they need complicated maintenance like collimating a lot and are very bulky but the Celestron 127 SLT Nexstar does not. You will need a Powertank for the 127 and if you have a chat to one of the suppliers like FIRST LIGHT OPTICS by emailing them you will get an instant reply but Google Celestron Powertank and you can order one online. Good Luck:cool::):cool:

Thanks so much for everyones comments :-) I had a chat with a very nice man at First Light Optics and went with the celestron 127. I like the fact that the blurb makes it sound like you just point it at the moon and then off you trot, though in reality I suspect it will be a little more complicated than that... Ahh well, that's husbands problem not mine :)

I ordered a cable thing with it too, and the very nice man recommended I get one of these to power it up with 3-in-1 Portable Jumpstarter : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics

The telescope is being delivered tomorrow, now all I have to do is restrain myself from ripping the packaging open and having a go on it myself for the next two weeks!

This one is a GOTO (so once setup will find object for you) model and is mid point in your budget £455

This first pictured scope is actually an Auto for £455, so it'll will track objects and you can slew it around with the buttons, but it won't find things for you. Cheapest goto dob is a fair bit more?

I only know this because I've just bought that telescope and got a scare when I read the comment ... I thought they'd upgraded the specs the day after I bought it ; )

i would say visit an astronomy club close by.

this way you can see different telescopes and have a chance to view with them. see what types will offer you the best views for your money. also gives you a hands on approach.

so first find a astronomy club, check when they have a public viewing evening and go along. better to see the different scopes at work than in a nice website/shop.

Congratulations! I have one of those and its a great little scope. Not going to show you faint gas clouds, but she'll surprise you!

There are a few different setup modes, from simple point-at-moon to 3-star sky align - the latter being more accurate, but it's all just a variation on a theme and you/he'll be able to do it in your sleep before you know it :)

@ Pottage, Tell your husband to always feel free to ask any questions on this forum and may I add you will need a dew shield for this Celestron 127 SLT Scope which will help to prevent dew/condensation as these scopes suffer from Dew problems when its cold but they are available on the FIRST LIGHT OPTICS website and also Harrison Telescopes and there around £20 but a MUST have. You may wanna soon also buy some very good quality eyepieces as well as the ones you will get with the scope are OK but not the BEST quality but there not bad but cheap basic eyepieces and there are better ones out there that will really enhance the views of the moon and planets. You should buy a 10mm and a 25mm and maybe a 8mm eyepiece and would recommend the Baader Hyperion Eyepieces but there around £96 a eyepiece but well worth it as the quality is superb but there are cheaper alternatives but the Baader ones are awesome. Good Luck:cool::):cool::(

Archived