Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bino Recommendation Please!

coxy322

Hello chaps, the Mrs is offering to get me some binos for Christmas. I already have a scope but would like somethng I can nip into the garden with to check seeing conditions. Also for the odd quick observing when getting the scope ready is not suitable.

Any recommendations around the 100 quid mark? Ideally not too high mag, would like to hold them in my hands without tripod etc.

Doubt they will be used for terrestial viewing much, if hardly at all...

Hi, I'm a newbie to astronomy who hasn't bought a pair yet but I think I'm going to go for the Telescope House starter pack with Meade 10 x 50 unless anyone can offer major criticism of them. Sherwoods' are offering Nikon Action 10 x 50 at £69., and I'm tempted but I think I would like fogproof if I went for a good make like that.

Regards.

8x42 are great for sweeping the night sky.

For 100 quid (+45 change) get a set of meade 10x50 (for about 35 quid) a cheapo camera tripod (the hama 75 is < 10 quid on amazon) and a metal adaptor to attach them - i got one from strathspey.

I leave it all assembled by the back door and you can get great views of jovian moons, M45 and other bright objects in about 5 seconds flat!

Good for those short breaks in the clouds when it's not worth setting the scope up!

Hi, I'm a newbie to astronomy who hasn't bought a pair yet but I think I'm going to go for the Telescope House starter pack with Meade 10 x 50 unless anyone can offer major criticism of them. Sherwoods' are offering Nikon Action 10 x 50 at £69., and I'm tempted but I think I would like fogproof if I went for a good make like that.

Regards.

I have a pair of the Meade 10x50's they are not well collimated and aren't a patch on my Opticron imagic 10x50's but they aren't £150.

for 10 x50. when i was researching some a while back. at under £100, id say the strathspey models are worth a look

Strathspey Binoculars

also i read nice reviews on nikon action's ,they were around £80 i think.

alot of bino's are on the amazon site,if you want more reviews ect.

This company seems very small, not like one of the big names out there. Given that the price of their products are very cheap in comparison, how do they really compare in terms of lens quality and lifespan expectancy?

Not that I dont fancy a bargain, but I firmly believe in getting what you pay for...

This company seems very small, not like one of the big names out there. Given that the price of their products are very cheap in comparison, how do they really compare in terms of lens quality and lifespan expectancy?

Not that I dont fancy a bargain, but I firmly believe in getting what you pay for...

Some little while ago Sky@night magazine did a review of 10X50 binos and the Strathspey Marine got their top marks for quality of build, value and Astronomical use, HTH :)

Strathspey do not manufacture the bin's themselves, like many people they are distributors. The majority of the bins at the cheap / medium prices range all come from China and just get re-branded. I think that in the USA Strathspey are marketed as Oberwork, Helios marketed as Garret etc

The binoculars that they supply are very good, I used to have some of their 20x90, and they provide a fast efficient service. I’d recommend them to anyone.

Cheers

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

I got a pair of William Optics BV's for Christmas. I had trouble getting focus on my 12 inch dob. But after getting an Antares twist lock ring and and adapter from telescope service, that was sorted.

All I can say is WOW! The moon is just amazing through the binos. It's like hovering over the surface. Jupiter also was gobsmacking. My best views by far. I would highly recommend the WO binoviewers. Really well made and the 2 20mm EP's are nice quality.

The only issue with binos is that you may have to buy some sort of adapter depending on the scope you plan to use them with. On my Meade 127 APO, they don't achieve focus with the 2 inch diagonal fitted.

EDIT sorry just re read the post it's binocularrs you're after not binoviewers:icon_redface:

I do like the 10x50 binocular from Strathspey. The marine type is excellent whilst the cheap and cheeful £31 instrument is not too bad either.

Having said that, although I mainly use a 10x50, I have to admit I still like a 7x50 binocular for it's sheer versatility....

Archived