SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Sussex! - Anyone fancy some group stargazing?

Rob_UK_SE

Greetings fellow stargazers,

I have just joined Stargazerslounge today. I must start by thanking all those that contribute to the forums. Your posts have helped me enormously when making 'aperture fever' related purchases!

Regrettably, we live in a flat, so there's no garden for quick access to stargazing. Observations through the windows are less than ideal! This led to me search for ideal spots that are telescope friendly. I use an SCT for quick(ish) setup and portability.

We live in South East England (East Sussex more specifically) and have discovered a wonderful dark site locally. On clear nights the Milky Way is clearly visible and you can get some great views of Messier objects. It is pretty flat with good views all around. There is very little light pollution due to street lights being pretty much non existant. There are also very few houses around. The 'cherry on the cake', so to speak, is that there is a car park right next to the site which is open all year round - providing access to the local Village Hall and the field. Sadly, there is no astronomical association in the village to benefit from this place. Never mind.

I am wondering whether there are some fellow keen folks who might be interested in some group stargazing? I have always thought that this is a hobby best shared and always more enjoyable in a small group.

Anyone perhaps interested?

Best regards,

Rob

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... what a fantastic response - thank you.

The dark site I mentioned is in a tiny place called 'Waldron'. We live in Heathfield, which is fairly close. If you were to draw a line between Tunbridge Wells (Kent) and Eastbourne (East Sussex) you would find Waldron right in the middle, just off to the left.

Looking at tomorrow's weather forecast for this area there shouldn't be a cloud in the sky all day and night. There is also going to be very good visibility, according to the Met Office.

Uckfield weather forecast - Met Office

I will be down there from about 7:30pm onwards- unless Scotland's blizzard manages to make it's way down to the south overnight! :):eek:

One thing I should mention is that there is a security light over the car park that is motion activated. Fortunately, it does not go off randomly, but it will illuminate the way during set-up - in a funny sort of way it can be quite handy.

Anyone who fancies joining me would be most welcome.

Rob

Archived