Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from cloudy Herefordshire!

lunar-chaser-1973

Hi all.

I loved space from primary school age with the first Shuttle launch being one of my fondest childhood memories. My interest has recently been rekindled since becoming a father to two amazing little boys. Since I bought him the Childrens's Encyclopaedia of Space, my 5yo has developed a keen interest and loves to look at the moon!

I decided earlier in the year to upgrade my 25 year old scope , which my late father constructed from two old camera lenses and a viewfinder, and which has provided me with some great lunar shots...

Flickr: johnalexwarren1973's Photostream

These shots are about as good as can be achieved with the equipment I had so I decided to treat myself to a new tube and the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 fitted nicely in my budget. Even out of the box and before collimation the 'scope has rewarded my with some great views of Orion and Jupiter.

I'm looking into expanding my eyepiece collection (10 & 25 + a Barlow) with something at each end of the scale; maybe a 5 or 6 mm and a 40. Some photography is also on the cards but not before a little more research...

My seeing conditions at home are not ideal but not too bad considering my suburban location as my back garden is obscured from the street lamps. Better still is the rural location of my mum's house (my home for 27 years) with almost no light pollution and a large tree-less field to view from. Many a happy childhood night was spent there gazing at an almost obsidian backdrop watching satellites and shooting stars pass overhead :))

Looking forward to being part of this community :))

John.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome John to the forum from someone else that resides in Herefordshire.

In March of next year the forum will be organising a star party (SGL7) at Lucksall caravan park between Mordiford and Fownhope. I am not sure where you live but it won't be too far from Lucksall.

In addition to the forum there is a Herefordshire Astro Society that meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Kindle Centre, next to Asda in Hereford. The next meeting is 1st December starting at 7pm when the topic will be exoplanets with a lecturer from the University of Birmingham.

Mark

Hi John welcome to the forum I was going to mention you check out hsatro but I see Mark mentioned it already. I'm new to Hereford Astro and went for the first time last month and was blown away I'm really looking forwards to going again this month.

Brian

Archived