NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Extreme Frustration

Duns

My Christmas present from my wife arrived today - Nexstar 130 SLT - but she won't let me open it until Christmas Day. I'm sure this is grounds for divorce - mental torture. It is made slightly more bearable by the fact that we are immersed in fog so couldn't use it anyway;)

but what about the unlikely event that the glass has cracked or something is out of alignment after the journey (nudge nudge) - surely it has to be tested in real conditions (in your garden) probably all night, to ensure it can be returned within the statutory period (wink wink).

I see that this is a reflector. Unfortunately, it will be necessary to change all the transport air collected in the tube on its way to you. Even though this is an open tube design, based on the 130mm opening and 650mm FL, this equates to in excess of 9 million cubic mm volume. I estimate that this would take at least 4 weeks to dissipate so it really could do with opening about now in time for Christmas.

Tried buying her something she really wants and went for the trade. Couldn't understand it - she wasn't that interested in an annual subscription for Astronomy Now:(

Wind all the clocks forward, open all the doors on your advent calander, decorate the house and put the tree up with a load of wrapped (but empty) boxes under it, and play the Queens speech from last Christmas on your PVR.

When she gets in you can convince her she's been in a coma for 6weeks and it's now Xmas day - then open the scope and get outside with it.

Oh and sprinkle some white dust around the garden and on the car on the drive lol :)

I hate to buck the trend (no, actually I don't :), but opening and/or using a Christmas present now offends my sense of humbuggery (I wonder if that will get past the censor). It's called a "Christmas" present for a reason. The clue is in the name. It should be opened on Christmas Day. It's not a "Guy Fawkes" present or a "Happy Orionids" gift. Learn some patience.

James

Now, if someone could help me with this tongue I appear to have stuck in my cheek...

My Christmas present from my wife arrived today - Nexstar 130 SLT - but she won't let me open it until Christmas Day. I'm sure this is grounds for divorce - mental torture. It is made slightly more bearable by the fact that we are immersed in fog so couldn't use it anyway;)[/quote

You could open it at midnight then and maybe get a few hours observing in before dawn :D

You need a long term plan

You should tell her telescope mirrors are fragile and needs to be inspected. However, you cannot do it yourself because it's your X'mas present. Therefore she need to star test it. Since she probably doesn't know how to do it, you need to teach her astronomy, observing skills, telescope mechanics, astrophysics, astrophotography, imaging processing and finally how to do star testing....

The goal is getting her to catch aperture fever in the process and will tell you to buy her a massive dob for next X'mas.

You need a long term plan

You should tell her telescope mirrors are fragile and needs to be inspected. However, you cannot do it yourself because it's your X'mas present. Therefore she need to star test it. Since she probably doesn't know how to do it, you need to teach her astronomy, observing skills, telescope mechanics, astrophysics, astrophotography, imaging processing and finally how to do star testing....

The goal is getting her to catch aperture fever in the process and will tell you to buy her a massive dob for next X'mas.

I second that idea. Its like being a kid and knowing you are getting a bike but won't be able to ride it in the snow.

If she truely loves you, she'll understand your anticipation and let you try it out. Perhaps she has a present from you that she is dieing to open?

but what about the unlikely event that the glass has cracked or something is out of alignment after the journey (nudge nudge) - surely it has to be tested in real conditions (in your garden) probably all night, to ensure it can be returned within the statutory period (wink wink).

:):D:D:D Nice one Shane.

Seriously, I do think you should open it and at least check the optics are OK. These are delicate scientific instruments that get shipped all over the world - part of it sometimes by Postman Pat - and accidents do happen.

There would be the disappointment of opening a broken pressie on Christmas Day (and your wife would feel awful), dealers will also be very busy after Christmas with Stargazing Live 2012 so it may be more difficult to sort out any problems and it will avoid the dealer asking why you've waited 10 weeks to notify them of a problem and any associated impact to their returns / replacement / refund policy.

I honestly think you should open it up, check it out, and then put it away until Christmas...

Archived