Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raw beginner -use of sky watch dobsonian

Drummer

Hi Drummer - you can get goto versions of this scope which work very well. If you get the manual version then you can add a Wixey electronic angle guage and an azimuth setting circle for around £30 which forms a very accurate pointing system.

Then all you do is look up the co-ordinates of your chosen object in Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel. Hope that helps :)

research research research,hi and welcome what most people do after watching a few tv programs,is go out and buy a scope and then find the hard part looking for things,what makes it harder is they see all these color glossy pics and think yeah lovely ,like you i brought the biggest dob i could find a bout six month prior to my purchase i got some 20x70 binos to learn the constellation,once you no were they are ands all the rest then its time for a scope ,a wixey and setting circle is ok thats if you can align north and all the rest

knowledge is power i think when it comes to astro things

research research research

(sorry if this post comes a cross funny but knowing were to look in the first place does help)

Hello Drummer & welcome to SGL :)

I use a combination of a book called 'Turn Left at Orion' (I found a copy in my local library before buying one for myself), and I've also downloaded free planetarium software called 'Stellarium'.

Using these I use the 'star hopping' technique to find what I want to look at. The idea is you take a known star and mentally 'hop' from one star to another to the target.

You'l soon become familiar with a few constellations which makes it easier.

Enjoy the night sky :)

Hi folks,

Would be grateful for advice on how you orientate a dobsonion.

How, if I bought one, would I know I was pointing telescope at correct object? Seems a bit hit and miss.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi & welcome!

If you have any doubts about how easy these 'scopes are to use, have a look at this: http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/132996-skywatcher-skyliner-200p-8-dob.html

Archived