Hi i am a newbie with my 1st telescope Celestron 50az

rickygoespop

Hi i have recently purchased my 1st telescope after an impulse buy in my local asda, it is a Celestron 50az powerseeker which i take is an absolute beginners telescope.

I have read and been fascinated by space,planets and the universe since i was young. I pointed my telescope to Jupiter with help from my ipad and a useful app which when you hold your ipad up to the sky it tells you what all the names are of the constellations galaxys star clusters and where the planets are in real time.

When i first saw Jupier through my telescope i said out loud" Thats Jupiter !" and then got goosebumps, i have been looking at it through my kitchen window almost nightly and can honestly say i wish to proceed with this hobby as i think im hooked now, I would love to see Saturn through my telescope and was wondering wether anyone can tell me when i will be able to see it from the uk as my ipad always tells me saturn is on the other side of the planet at night, i live near gatwick airport in the uk. Many thanks....Rich

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome!

Look for a book called Turn left at Orion. It's specifically written for small scopes, and has realistic object sketches on what it would look like.

I use bins myself and was able to follow the star hopping directions.

-- Perry Ismangil

Brilliant, cant wait for those. Just a quick one , do you know if andromeda is a good view through beginer telescopes or just a small fuzzy spot. I havnt tried looking for it yet waiting for a nice clear night to do some gazing. Cheers

You should be able to see Andromeda but only the centre of the galaxy. The spiral arms require clear dark skies and more aperture (I have a 5" scope and haven't seen any real structure to it).

Pictures you see in books are taken with long exposure photographs. The most you will see is a large fuzzy eliptical smudge - not through kitchen windows, I might add.

It is high in the sky at this time of year and so the next couple of months are ideal for bagging your first galaxy.

Good luck!

Welcome...

With you 50mm scope try and have a look at the Orion Nebula. Wait until about 11pm and then give it a go.

Use your ipod app or even better download Stellarium to see the sky and identify where to find things...

Also Try M35 in Gemini and M36/37/38 in Auriga which should all show up well in your scope. These are star cluster with LOADS of stars all bunched together in our galaxy spiral arms..

Mark

Thankyou for the replys guys, a lot of usefull info to take in, im bewildered by all the technology people have to look up to the skys, i feel like a caveman with my 2"scope but i guess we all start somewhere,my next purchase maybe a couple of filters to look at the moon and planets. cheers...Rich

Archived