SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Huuuge IC 1396 Elephants Trunk in Hubble colors

Grinde

Hi guys!

Finally I got a chance to return to the elephants trunk , which was my first target ever when I moved from dslr to ccd. This time I was armed to the teeth with gear & gadgets, so I could pretty much capture the whole target in one shot & let me tell you, it's huge! I tried my best to give the stars a realistic look, so I made a star-color layer, where I mixed the filters to give more natural colors, instead of the classic magenta/red look.

I also included a shot of the moon to show you all the size.

5 hours total exposures

S2: 5*20min

Ha: 6*20min

O3: 4*20min

FSQ106 f/5, STL-11k w. Baader filters

NEQ6, PHD-guided with st80+lodestar

EQMod (It's really awesome)

Here's the uncropped field of view, click image for 50% pixelsize

6326543879_9a36d9a946_b.jpg

And for the pixel-hungry, here's the 100% sized 11megapixel image

A cropped close-up, matching what I'd get with the 8300-sensor 100% pixelsize if you click it

6324239592_2f18b905a7_b.jpg

Here's the moon-composite : And a "NoStars" version

6326544215_b9075a4cb3.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the photos!

Jonas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My, that's stunning, a real beauty! Even at 100% it looks fantastic and you've done a great job maintaining those star colours. (Ok, I'm running out of superlatives now...)

I never realised how huge it was. It looks like the trunk alone is the same size as the moon's diameter!

That is a huge result Jonas, and super to say the least.

I like these very large nebulae processed via narrowband flltering,

as the process appears to me to show the active areas better, and give more depth to these vast areas of gas and dust.

I like the moon image planted there to give meaning to the area occupied by the nebula too.

All in all, a great bit of work indeed. Congratulations, they are a pleasure to look at :D:icon_salut:.

Ron.

That, my dear Grinde, is quite exquisite! It has a really gaseous look, just as it should, and the tiny stars allow the nebula to show itself cleanly. Putting in the moon is a great idea.

You know that Sh2-129 could be included in a mosaic? I fancy trying that next year.

Olly

Archived