Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Chinese lanterns

Andy McK

I know my name seems to be all over this board but, Just found this out, fell off my chair laughing

Chinese lanterns are now banned in Port Talbot.

A Chinese lantern was hit by a Firework rocket, fell out of the

sky and landed on a kids head!

What are the odds?

What are the odds of it happening again?

Andy McK

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been a number of cases reported (including one here with graphic pictures a while back) of chinese lanterns landing in conifers and setting fire to them.

Of course the folks who got such a "thrill" launching them were completely unaware of these incidents :D

I suppose they are a bit more majestic than the usual wheely bin.

I blame my far eastern bank for using them in adverts.

We'll have kids eating bugs next?

"I say, anyone for Criket?"

I'll eat the fried bugs, but only if sprinkled with Hundreds and Thousands :D.

They should be banned everywhere. My mate has had to have the vet out to his beasts twice this year already, they eat the wire with the grass.

:D Exactly why they should be banned. Spoke to a farmer last year and this very thing had happened. The details were horrific.

I make no apology for showing again the attached photos the damage a chinese lantern can do.

The guy that fell off his chair laughing might like to consider the consequences of one of these things landing in his garden and destroying his property.

It seems to me that in this country we only complain and act on a situation when it pesonally effects the individual.

post-16403-133877691087_thumb.jpg

post-16403-133877691094_thumb.jpg

Rocket style fireworks are every bit as dangerous as Chinese lanterns. There was a local house caught fire when a firework landed on the roof this year. I'll bet most of the people who think the lanterns should be banned are quite happy to set off rockets :D

.... I'll bet most of the people who think the lanterns should be banned are quite happy to set off rockets :D

Er..... no actually. There is a professional display at a nearby school and for £5 you can see around £5,000 worth of fireworks set off. Good value I reckon :eek:

And £5 to see £5000 worth of Chinese Lanterns would be great value. Yet both involve paying people to launch flammable materials at the surrounding neighbourhood :D

The thing about chinese lanterns is that they are released by amateurs, often under the influence of alcohol, and with no control or interest in where they may end up, after they have got their little buzz from lighting them.

The display I was referring to is set up and run by a professional fireworks company on land which is adjacent to open space (with the landowners consent) and has been successfully run for the past 20 years.

That's my take on it but you are welcome to yours :eek:

I love fireworks and know several people who do that professionally.

I used to organize fireworks displays for my University and we used to use a field site on the edge of town where we would be sure rockets and debris from mortars etc. would come down safely. We used to test fire small smoke rockets and angle everything properly for the prevailing wind direction shortly before open the gates.

In addition to Chinese lanterns, I object to the general public being able to purchase fireworks as well. Many people would have the open space and common sense to use them safely. Unfortunately, there are a great many more people who don't.

You are both spot on and I agree with you completely. Unfortunately you are in the massive minority when it comes to fireworks. I just find it odd that people who hate lanterns do not hate fireworks. Yep, that's my take on it.

Thats fair enough - I'm sure there are many other topics that we would agree on so no probs :D

It's not the lanterns that I hate; it is the irresponsible way in which they are used.

If set off on the beach with a breeze blowing to take them off shore, then they are perfectly lovely. But given lift off from the centre of town, potentially to come down and start a major fire putting people's lives and property at risk is wrong.

Fireworks are generally short lived, but the chinese lanterns travel a long way and remain alight - saw one the other night travelling towards my local patch of woodland, thankfully everything was damp, so no danger of fire there, but chinese lanterns really are like sending off a small incendiary device which can continue to burn for a remarkably long time.

Perhaps every lantern should have a serial number and when purchased the buyer would have to register it and then they'd be responsible for any damage caused. Would make people think twice about releasing one. Nothing like the possibility of being sued to make people think twice.

Of course the above will never happen, and anyway you'd have to solve the problem of somehow making the serial number non-removable and indestructible, and to positivelly identify each buyer, but I'd like to see it happen.

John

If set off on the beach with a breeze blowing to take them off shore, then they are perfectly lovely.

I am sure the lifeboat volunteers would disagree with you there, Chinese lanterns are constantly mistaken for flares resulting in false call-outs.

Archived