Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bags? How to carry accessories?

Just to explain, when I'm heading out to observe, it seems I have to assemble a small collection of EPs, Barlow, red light torch, pencil, notebook, reference books, planisphere, star atlas, etc. At the moment the EPs and Barlow are kept in the original boxes, for safe keeping.

So I've been wondering how do people store their bits and bobs, and carry them to their observing sites.

Are there astronomy specific bags? (Similar to camera bags with smaller spaces for EPs?)

I'm keeping my eyes out for a single padded bag with space for all of the above, where my EPs will be safe from impacts, etc. Obviously I could improvise with a suitable sized bag and cut foam into the right size, but I'm curious about what other people do.

The Maplin flight cases are great, I have a set - wait till they are on offer though.

If you aren't fussed about a smart looking case, or you want a different shape, there are lower cost solutions. Ideal for miserly people like me. I do after all keep the kit in a cupboard in daylight and only go out at night, so appearance doesn't matter. The traditional camera gadget bags have long fallen out of favour and are almost given away in car boots and charity shops.

These could hold a DSLR or two, big lenses, flashgun, etc. They come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and materials. Some are leather, some fibreboard with covering and the newer (1970s on) made of padded synthetic materials. A bit of camera foam for a few quid from ebay may be needed to fit to your kit exactly.

Just to explain, when I'm heading out to observe, it seems I have to assemble a small collection of EPs, Barlow, red light torch, pencil, notebook, reference books, planisphere, star atlas, etc. At the moment the EPs and Barlow are kept in the original boxes, for safe keeping.

Definitely +1 for low-cost aluminium flightcases for eyepiece storage: It's great to flip a lid and then select an eyepiece from ALL of your collection, like picking from a box of chocolates. It also keeps them warm which helps prevent dewing.

As for all that other stuff?

- just a regular duffle-bag or backpack will do. I use cloth carrier-bags of the type that charities regularly give away at outdoor fêtes etc.

An alternative to the flightcase is the rigid plastic tool boxes as sold by DIY stores. Either pad it out with foam or arrange kit so that frequently used items are on one side and general accessories are on the other.

Wish you'd read my earlier post :)

Hehe! I was actually going to the hardware store to buy wood and wheels etc. to build something similar, then see this baby on offer and thought BINGO! :)

It's a bit heavy once all the bits are in there but the wheels are a major advantage! and very silent :)

I'm surprised that nobody (to my current knowledge) makes an astronomy specific bag of some sort. (for general use, rather than specific OTAs.)

In my mind I've got a sort of soft shoulder bag that unfolds or unrolls to allow access to books/docs on one side and a more rigid padded side that holds EPs and more fragile bits like torches on the other.

I checked out the hard cases in Maplin today and they are rather larger than I had in mind. I'd end up carrying one of those plus books etc in a rucksack which sort of defeats the idea of keeping everything together. After all, with a dob mount, OTA, rucksack AND flight case that becomes 2 trips rather than one. Having said that, if I could find something similar in concept to the flight case but small enough to fit into a rucksack, that would be ideal for my needs at the moment.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, just thinking aloud.......

i use an aluminium cantilever flight case does the job for all the little bits like barlows filters and loads of other bits and bobs. once again from maplins

Aluminium Case with Cantilever Trays : Flight Rugged Cases : Maplin

bought my wife one like this from argos for her war paint. hoped she would,nt like it but she did:)

For outreach events I use a padded sports holdall.

I have the Skymax OTA in the main compartment with dew shield and a planesphere, EP's and diagonal are in a Tesco pencil case in the end pocket together with the 6x30 finder and Rigel. S&T pocket sky atlas and my observing note book, sketchpad, pencils etc are in the other end pocket. There is a pocket on the front for hat, gloves, flask of tea and sometimes some of those self heating teabag type handwarmers.

Ends up with two bits to carry, bag and mount. The mount is currently an EQ3-2, but an AZ4 might be on the cards sometime soon.

Archived