Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 6th November

Clayton

Trying some new techniques ATM :) Mainly backing off with the wavelet use. With so many frames to stack the temptation was to hit the wavelets a bit hard :) also I have backed off from using Auto colour balance in R6. I think it is a great tool that more people should experiment with, but the results are a cool sort of hue in my case, which I found appealing at first, but am now feeling discontent with, also the manual adjustments in R6 are quite coarse for a lot of settings and don't become active until you release the slider :):) So I have returned to CS3 where there is a lot more control and previews available :)

This shot was taken quite early in the evening (9:30pm Daylight savings time) Seeing around 7-8/10 but worsening, with Jupiter at about 37 degrees altitude with the DBK618, and the 8" Newt @ f22.7 (wishing now that I had pushed it up a bit higher :) ) 1500/10400 frames

post-16237-133877689331_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result :)

10400 frames! How did you manage that? (60fps???)

What was you gain setting?

I can hardly get enough light @ 30fps.

With a colour filter knock that down to 15fps?

Otherwise gain on max, noisy frames.

Cracking image ........

Cheers

Great result :)

10400 frames! How did you manage that? (60fps???)

What was you gain setting?

I can hardly get enough light @ 30fps.

With a colour filter knock that down to 15fps?

Otherwise gain on max, noisy frames.

Cracking image ........

Cheers

Thanks Jon

yes 60fps is not a problem with the DBK618, I was shooting at 1/76sec and my gain was about 80%, I have since discovered a way to drop the exposure to 1/61sec so I should be able to lower the gain a bit more:hello2:

yes 10,000 frames over 3mins pushes your PC's and Registax's capabilities abnd patience- time to start thinking of 64 bit OS with 16Gb RAM :)

I already have the 64 bit OS :) But I could really do with an I7 or similar:headbang: and more than my current 2Gb RAM:( (where did I put that Lotto Ticket :) )

Great stuff Clayton :)

I hadn't realised the new DBK could work at such a high frame rate and shutter speed as I thought, wrongly, that the new chip was just more sensitive in the IR region rather than across the visible spectrum. Based on your excellent results I think I may well trade up my current DBK rather than go down the mono/filters route.

Cheers,

Alan

Great image. I see what you mean about not liking the second version (more wavelets, whatever they are...), although it seems to have more prominent detail the originally posted one looks more natural to my (novice) eyes.

Great stuff Clayton :)

I hadn't realised the new DBK could work at such a high frame rate and shutter speed as I thought, wrongly, that the new chip was just more sensitive in the IR region rather than across the visible spectrum. Based on your excellent results I think I may well trade up my current DBK rather than go down the mono/filters route.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I can't really speak in general with any authority as this is my first serious camera, and I think the old TouCam is still a great performer. But I would have no hesitation in recomending this camera to anyone in the market for an OSC model.

I went this way for 3 main reasons.

1. I saw the problems that the RGB guy's were having getting 3 consecutive shots of high quality when conditions were highly variable (which they often are where I live )

2. Cost. I am far from wealthy and couldn't bring myself to borrow for the extras such as Filter Wheel and Filters.

3. I am a bit lazy, and consider it a reasonable ammount of effort already to set up after a days work at my job and domestic duties, then grab some Avi's, pack everything up, then go inside to process.

Let alone processing 3 Avi's for each shot then aligning and combining. I'm sure that when it all comes together RGB is the way to go, but how often does that happen (I asked myself), the seeing is not fantastic very often at my place, and I would be less inclined to set up unless it looked better than average, and would probably miss some of those odd freak times when it turns out to be good in spite of predictions.

As I said I am happy I did :)

Great image. I see what you mean about not liking the second version (more wavelets, whatever they are...), although it seems to have more prominent detail the originally posted one looks more natural to my (novice) eyes.

Thanks for the feedback cantab :)

Wavelets are one of the tools in Registax for sharpening an image;)

Good work Clayton. Bravo getting a mention on POW! That DBK is raking in the awards already :)

Btw have you tried stacking 3000-4000 frames as this seems to suit Reg 6 better.

Thanks for the tips Stuart :):) I probably would have missed it as I don't get to the POW page very often.

And I'll give several thousand frames a try:eek::)

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we both use DBKs for the same reasons (probably applies to most users).... a bit lazy, hard to justify the time or money for possibly better results via rgb and generally poor seeing for 90% of the time :)

Its good to know that this OSC can produce some pretty impressive results when the weather permits :)

Cheers,

Alan

Lovely image Clayton ! I like your taste for the natural look too. However I'm still needing a lot of wavelets to get the details, but have to admit the images with more natural colours but fewer details are more pleasing to look at.

I have since discovered a way to drop the exposure to 1/61sec so I should be able to lower the gain a bit more:hello2:

May I ask what the trick is ? Anything more than just setting it at 1/61th ?

Cheers,

Jeffrey

May I ask what the trick is ? Anything more than just setting it at 1/61th ?

Cheers,

Jeffrey

IC Capture won't let you set the exposure to 1/61sec via the up/down arrows, but by selecting the value via mouse you can edit the value. No big deal and fairly simple :) (I'm sure I tried this method earlier without success :)):)

• 11 months later...

Trying some new techniques ATM :eek: Mainly backing off with the wavelet use. With so many frames to stack the temptation was to hit the wavelets a bit hard :rolleyes: also I have backed off from using Auto colour balance in R6. I think it is a great tool that more people should experiment with, but the results are a cool sort of hue in my case, which I found appealing at first, but am now feeling discontent with, also the manual adjustments in R6 are quite coarse for a lot of settings and don't become active until you release the slider :confused::( So I have returned to CS3 where there is a lot more control and previews available :hello2:

This shot was taken quite early in the evening (9:30pm Daylight savings time) Seeing around 7-8/10 but worsening, with Jupiter at about 37 degrees altitude with the DBK618, and the 8" Newt @ f22.7 (wishing now that I had pushed it up a bit higher :D ) 1500/10400 frames

what a beauty :)

Archived