Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clocks forward

Patbloke

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't they concentrate on looking at some of the proper problems we have at the moment :)........oh no.........help........I've turned into a Daily Mail reader..........:D

Doing this would make it darker earlier wouldn't it - which works for me as I prefer evening astromy, I'm not an early hours of the morning sort of astronomer! And being completely selfish that's all that matters.

Mind you it would also make the dark linger further intro the morning and I hate getting up and going to work in the dark.

Er... I think it makes it lighter in the evening? example 1800hrs would turn into 1900hrs therefore you would have to wait longer in the evening for darkness!

Even longer coz they want to move it forward again next spring +2 on a selfish note we would have to wait even longer for dark skies... :D

Why don't they concentrate on looking at some of the proper problems we have at the moment :)........oh no.........help........I've turned into a Daily Mail reader..........:D

If you were a Daily Express reader you would be worried how altering the clocks would affect property prices! :o

Same here with dark mornings

If we were on GMT+1 then around new year time it wouldn't get light until after quarter past nine in the morning here in Brum

Getting up for work in the dark for 3 to 4 months a year? Ugh!

Leave well alone, I like to get out straight after work in mid winter.

Sunrise on IOM is around 20/30mins after UK depending on location so darker mornings are extended further over here, even worst for Scots, something like 10:30am or later before it gets light if the clocks move forward depending on location.

As kids, we all enjoyed the 60's(?) experiment which gave us all dark mornings? But I do remember arriving at school, opening the "side" door of the building, and having a "searchlight" thrust into my face and being manhandled by some... overly ZEALOUS teachers. Shades of Colditz! :D

Seriously though, having loads of kids milling around (inside or

outside) schools, in the semi-darkness, didn't work overly well. :)

I really don't understand the clock changes...dark in morning or dark in evening? Its the same amount of sunlight available call the time what ever you want you cant change the physics.

Leave the time the same all year and just deal with the winter changes and shift in daylight hours.

However do animals cope without a twice yearly change in their internal clocks?

Absolute load of poppywhatsit all of it.

As kids, we all enjoyed the 60's(?) experiment which gave us all dark mornings? But I do remember arriving at school, opening the "side" door of the building, and having a "searchlight" thrust into my face and being manhandled by some... overly ZEALOUS teachers. Shades of Colditz! :D

Seriously though, having loads of kids milling around (inside or

outside) schools, in the semi-darkness, didn't work overly well. :)

didnt no they had batterys and torchs in them days:D

I really don't understand the clock changes...dark in morning or dark in evening? Its the same amount of sunlight available call the time what ever you want you cant change the physics

There was something on breakfast TV this morning saying that putting the clock forward 1 hour would give birds less feeding time:icon_scratch:

much better to change the working hours instead of the clocks..

Hare brained scheme that will properly screw with Ireland - cross the border and change the clock. Half of Ireland is westerly enough to properly be in the -1 hour zone. Going to CET would mean sunrise in March in Limerick at ~07.45 instead of the proper 05.45, setting at 19.45 instead of 17.45. The expected times would be the times based in a -1 timezone, as that would make most sense astronomically.

As it is, on the Summer Solstice, sunrise in Limerick is ~05h15, local noon at ~13.35, setting at ~21.55.. I'd kinda like to have local noon somewhat close to actual noon, with sunrise and sunset around the same numbers.

Of course, if the UK goes to CET, then it'll have to follow the European determination of the changeover points, and the Irish government will have to follow suit with the same timezone changes.

Surely the Scots can have whatever time they like, especially if they fully devolve;)

Darker mornings is a bad idea for the majority, unless workplaces and schools adjust their start times.....

Surely a better way would be to assume that the vast majority of alarm clocks go off between 7 and 7.30, then adjust the start and finish dates of BST to suit? Maybe wrong but do we end BST too early and start it too late meaning wasted morning daylight when the majority are still in the land of nod?

Why don`t they do something more energy saving and make it mandatory for Councils to go back to the old times when all street lighting was off Dusk to dawn, there are that many households with their own safety lights now, that I doubt there would be much increase in crime, and School times could be adjusted to suit during the Winter months :icon_salut:

Archived