Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clocks forward

Patbloke

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time is just a number on a dial. The whole planet could be on the same time all year round with no problems at all. You would just start work and end work when the hands on the clock point to different numbers.

Dealing with the practicalities of it all as it is though - go back to GMT. The whole plus one thing was done for the war and never got changed back. It does not matter if it is darker in the morning or the evening. From our point of view you would either be a late night viewer , as some already are, or move to being an early morning viewer instead of evening. What better way to start the day than having gazed at the heavens for a while.

People in some parts of the world live in darkness or daylight for weeks and months at a time with no issue. I care not whether I work 0800 to 1700 or 1800 to 0300 - just as long as somewhere in the middle of that I get to experience daylight.

Yup. On a personal level I really couldn't care less if the clocks change or not.

And neither do I buy the arguments about it being more dangerous for children going to school or people going to work in the dark. Seems to me that there's an equally valid argument for suggesting that it's better to travel in the dark at a time when people are refreshed and alert than when they're tired and less attentive after a day at work.

If we do change the current system I really can't see it making any significant difference. Those people to whom daylight hours really matter will work to daylight hours rather than what the clock says, and the rest of us will just get on with things regardless.

I'd rather see parliamentary time and all the money such an experiment would cost spent on something that would be more likely make a genuinely positive contribution to people's lives.

James

Leave well alone, I like to get out straight after work in mid winter.

Sunrise on IOM is around 20/30mins after UK depending on location so darker mornings are extended further over here, even worst for Scots, something like 10:30am or later before it gets light if the clocks move forward depending on location.

yep imagine what the folks in orkney or shetland would think .. it would not get light in lerwick till lunch time :icon_salut:

It did not work in Portugal and they reverted back to GMT/BST - so why is it going to work here in the United Kingdom!

I don't understand why moving their, portugals, clocks forward would not work. It would just mean their time matches Spains.

I dont understand what would not work in that case. I live on the Spanish/portugal border when we go to Portugal (five minutes away) the world doesnt end...i lose an hour but still eat based on my time frame.

All this losing or gaining an hour is such nonsense. Its like arguing over your favourite colour, completely pointless....its not based on any facts just whatever rubbish the person currently arguing...i.e. me!...can make up.

There is 1 concreate pain in the butt with changing times, I have to shift my sons eat/sleep pattern to fit in gradually over two weeks due to some unneeded change in time.

The whole worlds mad and anybody who is for a change in time twice yearly is living away with the fairies. Get a grip people!

"oohh but its dark in the mornings/evenings/night time" you have a light switch..USE IT.

I am going to lie down in a dark room and pretend its midnight.

I'd just started secondary school when it was last tried in the late 60's and experienced the wonders of an extra hours daylight in winter.......poppycock. Someone on Skynews yesterday suggested huge savings in energy use and touted the government should make mandatory cuts on street lighting hours as a better way of saving fuel......now that made more sense :icon_salut:

Stupid idea really. They'll put school kids at risk during morning rush hour rather than evening rush hour. From what I gathered, morning rush hour is much busier than evening. There goes the road safety argument.

From an astro point of view, I would loose what ever time's left for stargazing in the summer. Instead of getting dark at 10 ish, it won't get dark until after 11pm.

+1 on staying with GMT all year

Stupid idea really. They'll put school kids at risk during morning rush hour rather than evening rush hour. From what I gathered, morning rush hour is much busier than evening. There goes the road safety argument.

From an astro point of view, I would loose what ever time's left for stargazing in the summer. Instead of getting dark at 10 ish, it won't get dark until after 11pm.

+1 on staying with GMT all year

In the height of summer, it will be around 1am up in the Midlands. I've been out at midnight and it's still twighlight...

Archived