Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone ever......

Celeste

I was having a quick nosey outside to see if it was clear the other night, it was but only one half of the sky was clear and the clouds rolling in fast, no time to set up the mount but I really wanted to eyeball Jupiter as it was so bright....I grabbed the scope and shoved it out the window, but I couldn't hold it and look at the same time :) so...I took the finder off the scope and used that instead for a quick fix :D (sad, yes :o)

Ok embarrasing to admit but I just have to know....does anyone else do it? Haha

I can imagine the rush as you were trying to find a way and the relief when you thought of it. ingenuity.

have i? do i? no sorry on your own on this ...... So far

I got loads of set of little bins £2 jobby's for emergency by front and back door in the car and by the bedroom windows just for that reason. do they get used? Yes quite often. even the missus uses them to look at the birds.

I have a pair of 20x80 binoculars for emergency viewing! Some of my favourite sessions have been taking it easy sitting comfy with a pair of bins, though for a long session I'll use a smaller pair of bins as the 20x80 is a little heavy when held by hand.

Yes to both - I have the 20x80s for exactly this reason (can be set up on a tripod in about 2 minutes) and I am lucky to have a superb TAL finder for wider field (8x) if I need it (though switching between right-way-round and back-to-front does my head in saometimes!).

If it's a quick glimpse at Jupiter in between the cloud cover I tend to use my 52mm ED spotting scope with a zoom eyepiece that I use for birding.

Now I come to mention it, it might make a good finder scope for my bigger telescopes. I wonder how I could mount it :D

When the public show up at our astronomy club's "star parties" and ask about a good beginning telescope, we always try to encourage them to purchase a good set of binoculars rather than spending the same amount of money on one of those cheap "dime-store" telescopes. You know the type, the "70mm Refractor" with the "600 power - you can see the moons of Jupiter" types.

Anybody who listens to our advice is usually much happier than the ones who do not, and we often gain new members as they start learning where things in the night sky by viewing them first through their new tools !

Jim S.

Hi

I've managed to get a glimpse of Jupiter through my 130P OTA with the stock 25mm eyepiece with the OTA tucked under my armpit!

It wasn't that difficult to hold still but I would not recommend it.

Clear skies

Paul

I can't hand hold 15x70 bins, let alone a scope! Not so's I can see more than with 10x50s anyway. I think some 8 or 10x 50s are in order for you. They are mucky cheap these days though Grahame seems to have scored with his two quid ones!!!

Olly

At PSP I was slewing to NGC869/884 looking through the finder and when I found it the double looked so good through the finder I didn't move to the EP of a good minute or two. Finders (and bino's) are great for wide-field cluster views! Great for a 'quick fix' :D

Archived