Bringing the Telescope and Mount back Inside Thoughts

After an evenings viewings when its time to bring the rig back inside the home. How do you do it? Is there a need to dissemble the whole mount or do you just take the telescope out of the rings and leave everything else set up for the next viewing. I'm going to be investing in an equatorial mount (prob the EQ5) for the first time and I'm wondering if there is a good procedure.

Thanks guys.

I own an 11" EdgeHD CGEM and after each night of observing I take apart all the pieces for storage. Everything from the OTA being put back into the case with everything taken off the visual back except the original that was already on when I first opened it to the mount, tripod, counter weight bar and count weights themselves.

It may sound like a lot but after putting it together and taking it apart a number of times already, it becomes very easy and can be done within 20 minutes.

It is all preference. You may want to make it easier on yourself. However I store my set in the basement between observations where there is less dust to worry about and it would be difficult carry it up and down the stairs if it were assembled in any way.

If you really can't be bothered dismantling the lot - especially if you're likely to use it the next day, then provided it is safe from thieves, one option is to throw a tarp or similar cover over the whole lot and tie it around the "waist" (i.e. where the mount meets the tripod).

That's what folks do at Star Parties anyhow...

No need to take it out of the rings. If you do that then you will have to rebalance each session.

Just remove the OTA from the mount leaving the rings and mount bar in postion.

Next remove the weights from the mount, then remove the mount from the tripod.

You have 4 easy to move parts then. Thats how i used to do mine. When storing the OTA turn it upside down so that any dew will run to the open end of the OTA. Takes maybe 10 minutes, and much better for it all to be inside in the dry IMHO

I always take the OTA out of the rings and take it and the mount/tripod inside leaving the OTA inclined to allow moisture to drain from the mirror.

If I know I will be using the scope the next night I leave it like this otherwise pack it all away next morning.

As for re-balancing each time I have the balance point marked with a small piece of masking tape same thing on the counter-weight bar for when I pack everything away.

I keep my telescope and mount in my garden shed which has double doors for easy going in and out. When I want to go observing I take the whole thing outside and set up when I have finished I just put the whole thing back in the shed. If that is not an option for you the above suggestions are good ones.

Soon the craving for an observatory will come along mind especially on cold winter nights.

For me the outside dismantle work was always based on the weight/bulk of the remaining items. A tripod + EQ5 + weights can be fun to get through standard doors. Being lazy, I always did minimal dismantling.

The most important thing was though to dry off the kit once inside. You all know what happens when you take cold kit into a warm and humid house. Plenty of work with the hair dryer.

as david above said - its all about how much i can handle weight wise to keep the number of trips back and forth to a minimum! cracked it to two trips - 1 for ota, 1 for mount/tripod/C/W. i duct taped the 2 counterweights together so when i get inside its easier to take off/put bk on.

only take c/w's off co si dont wanna strain my almost brand new heq5! :D

If I know it's not going to rain, I wrap the baby up and leave it out, mount that is the tube sleeps next to me :D.

If it has to come in, then it's in 2 parts.

The most annoying thing with an EQ3-2 is the accessories tray. Why no quick collapse?:)

I take the ALT/AZ section off the tripod, but leave the OTA attached.

Then push the tripod legs in but leave the legs spread so its like a half height tripod.

Just a case of putting the two parts back together indoors.

If I'm travelling, well that's different and then OTA comes off and tripod is collapsed. I then bag up the OTA.

Neil

If I know it's not going to rain, I wrap the baby up and leave it out, mount that is the tube sleeps next to me :D.

If it has to come in, then it's in 2 parts.

The most annoying thing with an EQ3-2 is the accessories tray. Why no quick collapse?:)

That is the only thing I don't like about the EQ3-2 mount. If it had a single screw lockout like the bigger mounts it would be a perfect travel imaging mount. Having said that though, the triangular screw-in tray adds a huge amount of stability to the mount.

2 steps for me ... take ota out of the rings ... then take deep breath pick up tripod, mount and three cw`s .. stumble into my gentlemans retreat ( 5m x 5m shed with ps3 , guitars , big telly fridge , laptop , leather couch , stove , kettle ,) and the job is nearly done , just the powerpak to shove inside :D

Archived