Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7000 & IC 5070, North America & Pelican in Hubble

Grinde

Hi guys!

Finally my first image in 6 months, curse those bright Swedish summer nights, ahrrr! A friend of mine who's running a telescope-shop in Sweden, who's also scopeless for a long time, let me borrow his SBIG STL-11k camera with Baader narrowband filters. I never tried the built-in guide-sensor, 'cause I figured guiding through those filters would be a tough cookie, plus I didn't have a clue how to work out the guiding parameters in MaximDL. So I piggybacked my trusty old ST80 + Lodestar on top of the Takahashi, mounted on my poor overmounted EQ6 without proper amount of counterweights.

I was super stoked to finally have a night with clear weather that matched my packed workschedule, so time to try out the borrowed camera. Also, my first night using EQMod , together with Cartes du Ciel. Unfortunately it cost me four hours of darkness until I got started, 'cause of computercrashes related to FocusMAX, so I gave up on the autofocus-routine, settling with a one-time manual focus in the Ha-filter & shot away until the target dropped close to the horizon & behind the house. If I had settled for manual focus right away, I would've gotten 8+ hours of data, but 4h40min ain't bad either, but you always want more. The smaller close-up crops is the field of view I would've gotten if I used my KAF-8300 based QSI-583wsg.

Exposures:

Ha: 6*20min bin1 (also used as Lum)

S2: 4*20min bin2

O3: 4*20min bin2

No flats

8*20min bin1 darks

No bin2 darks

Hubble Palette: Ha as lum, S2/Ha/O3 as R/G/B

The false RGB-ish Palette: Ha as lum, Ha/O3/O3 as R/G/B

Enough talk, here's the result!!

6266011963_1c12cf7e82_b.jpg

(Click for image for 50% size) - (100% size, click here)

6266011705_4c697eb1b6_b.jpg

(Click for image for 50% size) - (100% size, click here)

6266449966_1aa7948b7d_b.jpg

(Click for image for 100% size)

6266448364_9688dcafbd_b.jpg

(Click for image for 100% size)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot guys, I'm very happy you liked the photos, they're the best I've got so far! :)

This is the result of many many helpful tips from fellow SGL members, thanks everyone for the help, more tips & comments are always welcome

Thanks Kevin, I'm soo happy with this result, I've been wanting to shoot this one since I saw it for the first time online.

Just look at the first time I had a go on NGC 7000, before buying a telescope & mount. :(

6268395639_86075bb12c_b.jpg

Unmodded Canon EOS 50D on photo-tripod

EF 70-200mm 2.8L @ 70mm 2.8, Iso 3200

2x30s :p

Feels like a lifetime ago, regarding all the tech gadgets & scope used now when I image :)

I say, what magic is this? Alchemy at work here I venture to say.

Outstanding, this NB stuff is sort of revolutionising Astro imaging.

Certainly highlights the energetic areas of these vast nebs.

So pleasing to look at too.

Top notch work Grinde :):icon_salut:.

Ron.

Great work!

If your manual focus is like that, you should could to it :-) I use a bahatinov mask + my usual capture software for focusing, it has revolutionized by setup speed (done in a couple of minutes). Have you tried that route for focusing?

The stars round the edges are very good looking, compared to my Megrez 90 + DSLR combo. Is that because the field of view is smaller, or because of scope or camera quality?

Hats of and 10 points from Norway .-)

Cracking set of images, as a fairly newcomer to all this, just as I start to think I'm making progress something like this comes along and I feel I'm right back at the beginning again :)

Superb work, well done.

• 1 month later...

Lovely stuff. I'm impressed that binning those large pixels at short focal length didn't give you nasty big square stars but it didn't. Quite the opposite, the tiny stars are exquisite. Incredible result for short exposure times in narrowband terms.

Time lost to gadgets is something I hate and see quite often, which is why I use manual accessories whenever I can.

Anyway great images and fine processing, nicely gentle.

Olly

There are times when I see DSO images of this quality that I feel inclined to pack my kit up and flog the lot. How could I achieve those images? Not a cat in ....

But wait. Am I put off by glossy pics of Venice, of Basingstoke? Nope - I can do as good. So why not those fuzzies up there. Its a challenge not to be ignored.

Great images Olly - they are an inspiration.

Archived