Biggest Bang for Buck. No its not that easy!

I know the obvious answer to this is Dobsonian. Yes type in bang for buck and telescope in Google and you are met with page after page of the Dob coming out No 1.

But many of us turn our backs on buying one????

Are we mad or just plain stupid. I'm calling out to all the gazers who have never invested in a Dob and why the hell not! Come on be honest. We can't all be 9 stone weaklings:evil6:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the obvious answer to this is Dobsonian. Yes type in bang for buck and telescope in Google and you are met with page after page of the Dob coming out No 1.

But many of us turn our backs on buying one????

Are we mad or just plain stupid. I'm calling out to all the gazers who have never invested in a Dob and why the hell not! Come on be honest. We can't all be 9 stone weaklings:evil6:

I like the option of doing imaging.

I am completely 'dobsessed' but accept that other than in circumstances where good tracking systems can be created or bought, they are for visual only. but that's me, visual only.

if you want imaging then EQ mounts are really required in the long run.

Imaging is not out of the question for dobs, its a little more difficult but you can do it. You need an EQ mount for most imaging, but a dob with tracking can produce amazing planetary, lunar, and even some of the brighter DSOs. A dob is a great all around scope and if size matter most, than it is the scope of choice.

an analogy would be that dobs are like old motorcycles , there owners like simple technology , smoke pipes ,have beards and drink flat warm beer ! think jeff duke,mike hailwood and norman wisdom ,

where as goto`s can be compared to the cutting edge of motorcycles ,sleek lines ,electronic wizardry ,supercool , sexy !! think , valantino rossi , james bond , chrstine scott thomas :)

LOL all replies on a wet beer matt to ,

the dob owners club ,

tweed jacket avenue ,

1668 issac newton lane

just having a laugh :)

There is no getting away from the laws of physics and the amount of light grab that a dob can secure. Yet not all objects require this need for light such as the planets, the moon, double stars, open clusters, in fact anything that isn't a distant fuzzy or nebula. I prefer refractors, and their design affords them a high degree of convenience, be it their cool down times (large refractors here), no need for collimation and a convenient observing position and lets be honest, they do look like PROPER telescopes.:):D The inky black background that they provide for me is aesthetically pleasing and where there is light pollution, they can certainly punch through some of that to ensure good resolution on targets. In times gone by, the word dobsonian would often have been another word for 'manual' and so with it, a need to have a good knowledge of the sky to get the best out of them. Now, for many sizes of dobs, there are all manner of GOTO and encoder led technologies that have closed this gap between the dobs and the electronic equatorial and forked mounted systems and so have made the advantages provided by a dobs feel for many a little more accessible.

To be honest, your question assumes an either or debate, though I would imagine that excepting personal preference, most observers have more than one type of scope. 'Different scopes for different hopes,' of what can be resolved is what makes astronomy really challenging, sometimes frustrating but more often very interesting. Cost is a factor for anyone starting out as many have no real idea of what they will see and so are hesitant at investing in specific advantages. Dobs offer the greatest choice in one box which in part explains their popularity and can confess that I too have benefitted from its design which in the past has provided me the best views ever of nebula and galaxies. Long may they reign and hopefully long may they 'remain' moderately cheap!

James

an analogy would be that dobs are like old motorcycles , there owners like simple technology , smoke pipes ,have beards and drink flat warm beer ! think jeff duke,mike hailwood and norman wisdom ,

where as goto`s can be compared to the cutting edge of motorcycles ,sleek lines ,electronic wizardry ,supercool , sexy !! think , valantino rossi , james bond , chrstine scott thomas :)

LOL all replies on a wet beer matt to ,

the dob owners club ,

tweed jacket avenue ,

1668 issac newton lane

just having a laugh :)

:D:D not bad for a Mopar fan:D

Still you gotta have sense of humour to drive one.;)

Your Mopar is almost as sad as Chris (Brian may ) Orthodoxou's viper heap.:evil6:

And neither could pull the skin off a rice pudding.

He's definitely couldn't at the moment.:D

chevy's still rule :)

Simply, they don't appeal to me.

Have no reason for a large instrument and find that I make more use of a relatively small scope as they are easier.

Add in that I just do not get the idea that "finding something by yourself is the big part" and a large newtonian has little appeal.

And yes I will spend more on a smaller refractor. My choice.

As a fairly slight lady I would struggle with a 12" tube and umpteen kg of base. For the amount of money I spent on my scope, I could have bought a whopping dob, but I would never have been able to set it up by myself. Yes, I know I could have got a smaller dob for much less money, but I think I knew quite early on that I wanted to dabble in some imaging so it was not the choice at the time.

That said, if I had endless amounts of cash and one of those scope trollies, I would love a big dob to complement my other scope. :)

Our club has recently acquired a 14" dob, much in need of renovation, but once it's restored I look forward to having the best of both worlds.

Rachel

:D:D not bad for a Mopar fan:D

Still you gotta have sense of humour to drive one.;)

Your Mopar is almost as sad as Chris (Brian may ) Orthodoxou's viper heap.:evil6:

And neither could pull the skin off a rice pudding.

He's definitely couldn't at the moment.:D

chevy's still rule :)

well at least a sense of humor is included with any scope in this country , what with the endless clear nights , lack of humidity , lack of lp ect lol ,:):D

and as for swampy ..... have you managed to dig yourself out from under that new runway ???? lol :D:D

mopar rules :)

Simply, they don't appeal to me.

Have no reason for a large instrument and find that I make more use of a relatively small scope as they are easier.

Add in that I just do not get the idea that "finding something by yourself is the big part" and a large newtonian has little appeal.

And yes I will spend more on a smaller refractor. My choice.

Nowadays there are more then one company offering large dob solutions with either push-to or full goto system with tracking. That argument makes no sense at this point.

I believe it boils down to personal preference. I know what I have my sights in:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO

With tracking and full goto and the ability to see dust lanes in Andromeda, or inner structure on the Crab Nebula, etc.., I think I'll have a lifetime worth of observations.

Fitted with a trolley and stored in the garage (2º temp diferencial at most) fully assembled I think it will take less then 5 min to setup. Seams to me, that it's the perfect match for my 5.5+ mag backyard.

I used to have to observe over a balcony in a fairly tight space and an EQ3 was the best option. Now I observe in a garden I have bought a dob. It's so easy to set up (and is larger aperture). I still like EQ because it has a motor, can track and is smoother. Just don't seem to use it much anymore:icon_confused:

I believe it boils down to personal preference. I know what I have my sights in:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO

With tracking and full goto and the ability to see dust lanes in Andromeda, or inner structure on the Crab Nebula, etc...

.... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. :)

I wish you hadn't posted that link, I want one now

I wish you hadn't posted that link, I want one now

I wanted the 350p last xmas, postponed due to the house construction. Then this came out. I was going to buy it but went for some better photography lenses as my 1st child will be born soon and I want the best possible photos.... so it was postponed again till next xmas.

Maybe they'll come up with an 18" GOTO by then. :)

.... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. :)

Erm... Not sure... When I finally get one I'll get back to you on this. :evil6:

Archived