Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - last night

sevs23

Hi all

Was observing Jupiter last night with my Mak 150 using a 25mm BST. When observing I spotted what looked like a spot on an adolsecent teenager growing from the upper part of one side.

I kept watching this realising it was the appearance of one of it's moons (IO?).

Switched to a 12mm BST and was literally blown away - to see Jupiter so clearly and also Io appearing was simply breathtaking. The GRS was also clearly on view.

I've tried to use my 12mm BST before but the views have always been blurred - last night must have been a night of exceptional seeing ;)

I now realise that, under the right conditions my scope can really deliver really stunning views.

Can't wait for tonight as it's looking clear again :D

just seen jupiter tonight with my 10" dobsonsian with a 12.5mm ortho and a 2x tal barlow at 200x i am totally gobsmacked.. ( to think i was thinking of getting rid of my dob ) i saw stucture in the bands ,grs, and two inky black dots was these shadows of the moons observing time was 11.00 till about 1.00am can anyone confirm that there were two shadows before i redo my drawings...

dobbie.

I thought last night (Mon Nov 1st) was particularly good. I went out around 9.30pm and it was clear with all 4 moons stretched out and easy to see in my 8x40 bins. Just before bed (12.20) I looked again and it was even better, now much higher in the sky. The planet was a very obvious disc with the moons still stretched out in a line: two on one side two on the other.

I thought seeing the moons was supposed to be some kind of test of binocular quality but when it's like this I think even toy bins could make all 4 moons visible.

Tuesday night was fantastic for Jupiter. The 150pl was collimated within an inch of it's life. I've never seen so much detail at about midnight. 3 nights past opposition , it was just stunning. I use a 15mm to check the field and then a 12mm. It's rare to use anything for higher magnification as the seeing conditions over the last few nights ahve been horribly damp. I've drawn Jupiter so many times, it's hard to express the sharpness and colour.Roll on Saturn!

Archived