Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

orionids

nicnac

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please be gentle as I'm new and probably about to make an idiot of myself, but went into the kitchen to make a cuppa looked outside and it's clear!! got the bins out and had a look at Jupiter and Plaides out to the east. As I was getting myself familiar with my star map in this area I spotted 4 meteors in the space of about 10 sec's, was I looking in the right place? If it wasn't it was still pretty awesome to see so many in a short space of time :)

I've been out for an hour an nothing, sadly I can't be up all night to wait for Orion to rise a bit more. Maybe the camera picked one up that I didn't but I doubt it. Perfect clear skies too. :)

I was out for about an hour and a half and saw 3. A bright one streaking straight through Cass, a fainter one to the east of Cass, and a still fainter one near Orion itself.

Also, a possible fourth meteor, but not an Orionid as it was going the wrong way. Somewhere west of Cass and Pegasus, heading east-ish. Very short streak, so maybe a satellite not a meteor? Don't know exact time as looking at my phone would kill my dark adaptation. (As does the fridge. Never mind a red torch, I need a red fridge light!)

Well I saw managed to catch four Orionids between 1am and 2am. One of them was actually in the constellation of Orion travelling from left to right, Betelgeuse to Meissa, which is the head of the hunter. Another one straight through Auriga. The peak of the shower was about 1am so after only catching four, I decided to call it a night.

I believe the peak is tonight, assuming I got the timing right approx 9pm should be the best time for frequency, although Orion will be very low down on the horizon. We are expecting limited cloud cover tonight so fingers crossed :)

Caught one that shot over my head towards the zenith, was at a local meteorwatch event last night, despite checking the bbc, met and astropanel the entire sky was blanketted for the whole hour we were there and they didnt look like moving an inch. Soon as we got home though the clouds completely dissipated! typical! Still caught that solitary one though from home and a quick glimpse of the Great Orion Nebula before calling it a night:cool:

21/22 Oct. 23.30-01.00 (local time) - Western skies clouded, no winds, no rain. I observed Orion but clouds covered that one from Betelgeuse to the brightest stars of Gemini. So, I noticed only one meteor - slow, short and weak (visually) near to λ Tauri (12.45 AM). Weather conditions that night bad for me.

I thought last night was the peak of the Orionids - I was up at 3.45am today, extremely clear sky - saw 2 Orionids - 1 radiating between Bellatrix and Mintaka and the other just above Betelgeuse :)

However 2 an hour not enough for me so went back to bed - with a crick in my neck! :(

took a chance and went out with my local AS under overcast skies last night. within about 30mins of arriving the sky cleared (as the met office said it would so hats off to them for a change) and we got a really good night in. Saw serval large meteors with the longest trails i have seen to date. eyes peeled for more tonight!!

Archived