Is it just me or does all bending kill your back!

Ok

So last night I went out for the first time to do some observing. I was really quite excited, I don't have a fantastic setup (see sig) but I thought this going to be fun. And it was, took me half an hour to get the thing aligned, then I was quite happy observing the moon (took some pictures which I will post later). After 2 or so hours out in the garden (I used to like trees) I dismantled all my kit and went back inside. This morning as I climbed out of bed my back complained strenuously about all that bending, I never realised you had to be an athlete to look at the stars. Anyway regardless of the sore back, I had a wonderful time last night. One thing I did notice was my eyepieces kept steaming up anybody have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Tony

Your eyepiece was being affected by dew - a common phenomenon that does happen on rapidly cold, still nights.

There are various solutions to this problem that can be discovered through searching this forum - but the way I deal with it is to keep another eyepiece of similar magnification in my pocket and swap around, letting the other warm up.

As for your backache...a nice hot bath at the end of the session sorts that. :D

Or position your scope/focuser in such a position that you can keep your back straight....

My SNT on its pier is ideal, except when aimed high, then I need a step-up to view.

My 90mm frac likes me to sit on a tripod camping stool when I'm next to it, the 90 degree diagonal compensating for most, if not all positions...

You don't have to use the polar scope, for visual observing I always roughly polar align, that is ok for visual but not for astro-photography. Just point north and make sure your altitude is set correctly for your area. You should be just around or just above 51* where you are, like me on the M4 corridor?

i have a reflector, yep, sometimes it can be a pain, not as much as prolonged use of binoculars mind.

i have my set up so im looking ever so slightly down angle into the focuser and swap side to use the finder.

with heat rising,the downward angle it helps with the fogging of the EPs too

I used the Right Angle Finder i got from FLO for the first time tonight and it transformed the scope (SW 200 DOB) from a instrament of torture to a real plesure to use.One hundred times better to use.I also made a small round table on 300mill legs so i dont have to stoop to low all the time.:D

I use a right angled finder on all my scopes and an adjustable ironing chair when observing - it will transform your comfort. If you have a polar scope there are one or two ingenious solutions using diagonals and/or a webcam that obviate the need to bend in the diy sections - but I don't bother cos it's only used once at the start of a session (in which case I use a bit of carpet offcut to kneel on) :D

Thanks for all the replies, its good to know its not just me! I have a red dot finder on my scope and I have come to the conclusion I don't like it, so Ive started searching the forums to see what to replace it with, I did think about replacing it with this Telrad Red Dot Finder but I think I want to have a look at traditional finderscopes first.

Tony

Hi Tony, a right-angled 10 x 50 finder is a good one for peventing back-ache, if it will fit your scope, it means you don't have to stretch at various angles to look through, as with the 'straight-through' finder. I have the Orion one and it is spot on for me. NB. Synta fitting shoe.

Archived