Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spelling

JamesM

As some of you might have gathered, I do appear on the forum fairly frequently (...was that boooing I just heard?). Well, I was thinking the other day about the spelling of certain words that occasionally crop up when I am typing, be it a technical term, object or constellation. Now call me dim (...settle down everyone!) but there are some words that I always have to remind myself how to spell no matter how many times I have typed them out. One frequent example is ........um......now let me see......hang on....I have got it.....Cassiopeia!:rolleyes: Every time I need to write it I have to look it up, I mean how ridiculous is that! Well to be honest, I cheat and in fact I already have it on a sticky stuck to the side of my computer screen.

Now hopefully I'm not alone in this memory incapacity so, does anyone else have an astronomy word that always creates that little bit of doubt?

James

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My chemistry master used to say 'your handwriting is not like a spider dipped in ink but in scotch first!'.. Word processors and spell checkers marvellous things...

Cheers

ps.

When he retired they had to get Porton Down staff to come and clear out his stock room, something to do with exotic isotopes :-)!

Star names offer a rich haul of spelling traps: I defy anyone to get - say - Dschubba - right without looking it up!* Or to pronounce it!

*Yep. I looked it up :rolleyes:. Aka Delta Scorpii. I think I'll stick with the Bayer name, thanks, for that one!

OK all you experienced chaps apart from spelling, how the H..l do you pronounce the Greek letter Xi, its shaped like Zeta but with an extra squiggle :rolleyes:

John.

Ha! I have the advantage of you 'cos I did Greek (ancient Greek that is) at skule as any fule kno.

It's "Ksy": say "sky" but with the K and S swapped over.

I find google a really useful tool. However badly I spell something in the search box, it always seems to say "did you mean..." which gives me the right spelling, or at least the majority spelling.

Spell check is a wonderful too. Is it hidden somewhere here? If not then use Note Pad or Word Pad to generate your message and paste it in.

peter...

Archived