Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spelling

JamesM

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chrome also has one, and iv noticed since iv upgraded to OSX lion it keeps wanting to do spelling checking very similar to my iphones one..... but sadly it dosent understand greek names or astronomical

So RIGHT CLICK and select "Add to Dictionary".

While on the subject.

How do people pronounce that star at the bottom-right* corner of Orion, then?

I always say "RYE-jell" with a soft G, but I've heard "Regal" (rhyming with legal and a hard G), also "Ree-ZHELL" as if it were French.

I know that Alpha Centauri used to have the name "Rigil Kentauri" but the proper name was dropped, presumably because of confusion with Rigel. Now it's merely "Alpha Centauri". Just as well.

Don't get me started on Betelgeuse! :rolleyes:;)

*Apologies to all you Aussies, etc. Top-left for you, of course!

If a real astronomer looked through my observing diary there would be red crosses every where with 'see me' at the end.

Sounds just like my English homework. Always amused me that both the senior English teachers at my school were Welsh speakers from Wales.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Laugh out loud moment here. I can imagine that it took you while to write that but the truth is, it works. Read it at normal speed and you still get every word.

:rolleyes:

Laugh out loud moment here. I can imagine that it took you while to write that but the truth is, it works. Read it at normal speed and you still get every word.

:rolleyes:

Funnily enough its true! Its bizarre but i read it all the way through no problem and at normal speed.Very strange:eek:

The brain sees words not as a collection of letters but as a shape. Thats why it is possible to read at normal speed even with the letters jumbled up...............once the word has a starting reference point and an end reference point that the brain sees as a shape that it is familiar with.

Something like that aywany.

Sounds just like my English homework. Always amused me that both the senior English teachers at my school were Welsh speakers from Wales.

One of the most accurate proof readers of English text that we used to use was a native Welsh speaker for whom English was his second language.. He would pic up things that the English speakers would miss...

When I remember to use it I use the IeSpell add-on...

http://www.iespell.com/

I have an issue with "Calendar" - actually I have an issue with lots of words ;)

There is even one one (can't remember which one) that I cannot even get close enough to for the spell checker to recognize and correct :rolleyes:

Ant

That's brilliant!

Focusser or focuser? Focuser I think :rolleyes:

I think you're right. I heard a rule for those sorts of words... don't know if it's right but it makes a kind of sense. If you stress the first syllable, like focus, then you don't double the end letter, but if you stress the last syllable, then you do.

EG Offer, offering. Prefer, preferring.

Archived