SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Draconid Meteor shower tonight

Being new myself I have stumbled upon a Daily mail article that has a small crude picture of where the field of view of tonight's meteor shower will be that may help newbies like myself identify where to look. Hope this helps, but as the forecast is cloudy, I very much doubt it. Good luck. The link is for the on line article.

Draconid meteor storm could send 750 meteors-an-hour streaking across the sky... but will we be able to see them? | Mail Online

It might be a serious meteor shower, but right now, here in Northamptonshire, they'd just bounce off the cloud back into space ;-)

I'm still hoping it'll clear, but it needs to be quick as the peak is supposed to be in the next couple of hours I think.

Decent gap for about half an hour corresponding with the peak as forecast by spaceweather. Several meteors a minute plus raining down; they are also noticeably slower than 'normal' meteors. What with my light polluted skies and the moon my limiting magnitude is probably ~3, so if it was a dark sky I think there would be a lot of shooting stars to see. Keep your eyes open for the cloud breaks - this is worth going out in the cold for! :)

the only way i'll get to see em tonight is if they are big enough to punch holes in the cloud ........ gutted!!! though i saw an absolute belter of a meteor about a week ago coming out of the draco area of the sky heading south east so i think i saw an early arrival

Just got back in the house........Wet.......Cold......and nothing viewed. At least the wife managed to catch up on all the rubbish she watches without me around. (God bless sky+) Thick cloud in Cheshire and it doesn't look like breaking at all. On the plus side I did manage to shift the wood I've been meaning to move for ages........thank god my 300P isn't here 'till Tuesday or I really would be upset.

I went outside between 9 and 10 which coincided with a hole in the clouds stretching half the sky.

I ended up seeing about 20 meteors over this time, some half seen and some nice bright slow ones. Given the cloud cover, moon and altitude, I'd estimate a ZHR of several hundred.

Should have gone to Cyprus.

Mike

I managed to convince the family (woman, dog and child) to take an evening walk with me around 20:00 cet. After a short while disaster struck - clouds! Luckily they went away quite quickly and I managed to see around eight or ten in half an hour.

Highpoint of the evening was when my wife saw her first meteor ever - she threw her arms in the air and screamed 'Whoooo!'.

Archived