Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To wait or not to wait..that is the question!

Hi all,

After months of research and asking the question on here I have decided to go for the Skywatcher dobsonian 300p (12 inch) as my first scope. Budget wasn't really set, so the decision was based purely on advice on this forum and the reasoning behind wanting a telescope. Now the trouble I have is after a month (over a month really) of looking and finally deciding on the above, not a single shop has them in stock. (FLO were the only company I got in touch with who replied via email, the others I had to chase) The supplier has said that more will become available but they don't know when, now do I wait (oh I'm itching to get in the back garden) or do I purchase the 10 inch 250px instead or alternatively I could go for the 12 inch auto/goto/flex but they are all more money for additional operations that I simply will not use. Although money is not an issue I don't want to spend an extra £200-£300 when that money will be going to my astro photography set up and as we all know (and the wife has just found out) that is expensive.

Thanks again Paul:icon_scratch:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, if you are thinking about astro photography, then I wouldn't have gone for a dob in the first place. You should be looking at something with an HEQ5 or NEQ6 equatorial mount to start with, perhaps with a 150/200mm Newtonian or a 100mm refractor. With imaging, size isn't everything, and I'm sure others will chip in.

Just think about all the research you did to choose that scope! Wait and get the one you wanted. Weather might be poor for a while anyway and the moon will be getting bright soon so DSO's might not be at there best. It might only take four weeks to find the one you want and then we might have dark skys again... (hmmm might).

I have a 200 (just for a week or so) and i already would like the 300, if you do get a smaller scope you might end up kicking your own butt.

Enjoy the wait!

Hi There,

Thats a big scope!, have you seen it in the flesh?? Worth a trip to a nearby astro store (stockport?) to have a play before making a mistake. Or try local astro group who will be delighted to let you have look through their scopes.

Good Luck

If you have done all the research and a 300 dob is what you want then I would wait. When I ordered my 250 it was out of stock but they had a 300. The 250 served my purposes so I didn't spend the extra money (and the 250 came available much sooner than expected anyway). If you get a 250 you will only wonder what the 300 would be like.

I would certainly be shouting from the camp that says you should wait for the scope you have decided upon. You can always research locally to see if and when your astro club or observing group is holding their next observation evening to help dissipate your urges!:):D Probably a good sign that their popularity has created a shortfall and indeed within my own observing group there are three 12" dobs that consistently reveal some great views so the delay will certainly be worth it.

Whilst waiting and with an eye to your future aspirations toward imaging, I would recommend getting a hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which at a modest cost will provide you with a comprehensive overview of what you will need and why you will need it to produce the quality of image that will best meet your expectations. Of course you can webcam the moon and planets when your scope arrives. As near bright objects, you won't need to secure accurate tracking that permits long exposures, an essential requirement for imaging distant faint deep sky objects.

Difficult as it might be, I would occupy your time with reading and public observing to help shorten the wait for your new scope, which represents a great choice that will provide great views.

James

For what its worth the 250px is a fabulous scope giving you incredible DSO, planetary and well.. just everything views! In both Dob form or EQ form. However I know what aperture fever is like lol.

Good luck!

Thank you all, ever so much. I have decided to wait for the 300P comes back in stock............That is if the 300P Auto or GoTo if also out of stock too, if not I will pay the extra for the goto/auto. I don't really want to spend more but I said months choosing the right scope but in reality it's been 12 weeks or so.

considered a Lightbridge instead of a Skyliner?

No I've not. Don't know why but I've settled on the 300P but as someone else said, I'm now looking into Auto. With it being a bit of a beast and large app 'nudging' it along might become a bit of a pain, also I want to kids to get into it so anything that helps keep them interested is good by me.

Oh and yes I've been looking on ebay. Found a newly listed 10 inch but couldn't find the 12, unless your on about the one for £450? Don't really fancy buying second hand for the dob but will be buying second hand for the AP set up that's for sure. Won't be for some time yet though, took me ages to persuade 'her indoors' that 914 quid is 'cheap' for what you get.

rather perversely a bigger dob if well constructed is easier to nudge than a small dob. my 16" can be moved (literally) in any direction with one finger.

auto is definitely good if you can afford it. BUT you can also buy an equatorial platform for about £450 (or make one for less - I did) and if you did get a used dob you'd then have a platform for any scope and a good dob too. just another option to confuse you!

I agree that tracking is nice. When viewing Jupiter in the back garden I will almost always set up the 18" which has tracking rather than the 10", which doesn't. This despite the fact that the bigger scope takes two or three times longer to set up. Still get perfectly good planetary views without tracking, though.

Archived