Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Northants

mcwill

I'd just like to say hello and thank you for the wealth of information available on this forum. I feel I've learnt a lot already just by lurking for the last week.

We're just starting out with an Explorer 130P although I have to admit we are cheating by using a GOTO mount. I know I should learn to navigate the sky properly and I'm sure that will come, but even using the GOTO we are starting to learn our way around the skies.

We couldn't have picked a better week to start observing the skies have been clear all week with tonight being the first cloudy night. Is it always like this? :)

Iain

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Is it always like this?"

You picked a great week to start - hopefully over winter we'll have a few more clear nights, but part of the hobby is an exercise in patience waiting for conditions to be right lol.

Welcome to SGL Iain - feel free to drop in whenever the weather dictates you can't go out lol :)

Howdy, Iain, from Texas!

What part of Northants is your patch? Me ancestors left the Towcester area (Wood Burcote) about 350 years ago landing in Maryland. I hope to visit there someday and have a pint at the Saracen's Head Inn made famous by Robert Louis Stephenson in Treasure Island.

Hope you continue to enjoy clear skies.

I'm a relative noob too.

I've been using an Explorer 130 for about a year, and it's amazing what you can see with some practice and patience - the latter being particularly important it seems.

You've picked a brilliant time to start out. I bought my scope I the cold of last winter, and it was cloudy for weeks! That said, when the cloud clears the Winter skies are often beautiful.

Enjoy your scope.

Archived