SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from North Worcester

Robd

Hello to one and all.

I have been following the site for a couple of months now after discovering it whilst trying to decide what mount to upgrade to. All the comments etc. were very useful. Finally got round to signing up last weekend. A great site with lots of helpful people. :D

My wife ( Sue ) and I ( Rob ) have had an interest in astronomy for many years now – a resurrected interest for Sue. Started in earnest about 20 years ago with the purchase of a 4 1/2 " scope in 1987 must say I spent a lot of time agreeing that there was a fain smudge to be seen in the eye piece. Since then moved onwards and upwards current set up is LX200 10" mounted in the observatory, Skywatcher Startravel 150 on a HEQ5 Pro mount – still see smudges.

Sue prefers looking, I prefer imaging hence the need for the two rigs. I sit out in the cold and damp with the Skywatcher and camera whilst Sue has the comfort of the observatory ( What a gent I am ). Mind you lately Sue has been gathering some fair images on the Meade DSI :p whilst I am still trying to get clean images with the DSLR.

Our website (in dire need of re-build ) has some details of the observatory build for those interested. It needs some work doing to it now ( discovered yesterday that the shutter rear support is completely shot :D ) and I also want to extend it to add a second pillar ( and dome ) for the HEQ5 so that I can 'get me old bones' in out of the cold - should be an interesting project especially in trying to avoid some of the problems encountered in the first build.

Sky here is not to bad but with M5 to the west and a works unit to the north we do suffer the usual sky glow. I have to say though that it was better when we started 20 yrs ago.

I guess that's more than enough for an introduction so I will leave it at that and look forward to more postings.

Rob

drastic shortage of those round tuits :D don't you know?

I do know!! Reminded me of my old boss who had a coffee mug with "A Round Tuit" marked it, he never did though :D

Enjoyed your site. The Aurora pictures are stunning - enjoyed browsing them - Thanks.

Cheers

Bill£ :p

Bill£

Thanks. The Aurora was a sight to behold, we had been for a meal with the possibility of seeing Aurora - started the day in a blizzard. One of the party stepped outside came in and said "there's some green light in the sky'. That was it - empty beer glasses pay the bill and off to the hills.

Images are a bit 'grainy' should have stuck to ASA400 - I had not expected them to be so bright. We had been to Alaska the year before and only got a small showing.

Still it was the viewing that counts, the pictures just refresh the memory.

Robd

Archived