Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7331 L-Ha/R-G-B

MikeD

Hi all.

Bagged some colour and Ha for this over the last two nights, to add to the luminance I already processed.

L = 54@ 300 secs

R = 8 @ 300 sec's

G = 6 @ 390 secs

B = 8 @ 420 sec's

Ha 12 @ 600 sec's

The Ha and Red was mixed 50/50 before processing.

the Ha regions are just starting to show through but I need more (this was processed while shooting more Ha).

Shot with the usual set up, 10" newt and HX916 CCD.

Thanks for looking.

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture13727-ngc7331-lrgb-good3.jpg

post-13376-13387766951_thumb.jpg

Cracking image. It's really nice to see some of your images being posted again!

x2!

I really like the framing of this one, too. It's unconventional, what with being a portrait image of a horizontally oriented galaxy, but it really works well, particularly because of all the little babies above it.

Once again thanks all for the very kind comments.:)

It's unconventional, what with being a portrait image of a horizontally oriented galaxy, but it really works well, particularly because of all the little babies above it.
Thanks, all my images are always shot north up but as I felt this galaxy displays better in it's Horizontal plane I rotated the image 90 degrees clockwise.

I have now had a chance to add the extra Ha data I shot for this target to the Ha I already had.

I have added this new (18 @ 600 sec's) Ha stack to the Red channel of the L-Ha/r-G-b as a lighten layer.

The result is better dust lane colour in the core I think and a touch more of the Ha regions coming through.

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture13878-ngc7331-lrgb-good5.jpg

yfronto-albums-mikes-images-2-picture13878-ngc7331-lrgb-good5.jpg

The detail you've captured is simply staggering from a focal length of just over a metre. I wouldn't have thought it possible but you've done it. I dare say you found the core a bit of a devil? I did it in two stretches because it's so bright relative to the rest.

Did the Ha contribute much to the detail? If so I think I'd better go and get some!!

Olly

Thanks Olly.:)

The core is always an issue for me, I did do it in two processes and I could have preserved the detail right to the core with that separate processed layer but in my opinion it loses the reality of a bright glowing core relative to the rest of the galaxy, so I still let it burn a little.

The Ha is a must for me as I use the Ha data as a LP filter for the red data. By the time I balance the background to kill the Lp in a straight RGB image it has lost nearly all it's faint red data. Mixing the raw red and raw Ha 50/50 kills the Lp and at the same time enhances the Ha regions.

I tend not to use the Ha with the luminance, maybe I should give it a go.

I think Ha is always a good idea When imaging galaxies it seems to help the final result pop, not sure if that would apply to imaging from your dark skies though.

Mike.

Archived