Interesting scope

Earl

Just the boxes it is in look lovely !

Leitz Wetzlar became Leica I believe - thats a name to conjure with !.

Ernst Leitz set up in Wetzlar Google Translate which did indeed become Leica so the optics are likely to be outstanding.

Looking at the mount and the control panels it is probably an old observatory grade set up and seems to ooze quality.

I for one am very interesting in seeing what this goes for.

If it all works properly, someone is likely to get a stunning piece of kit for a good price. If it doesn't work properly, someone may find themself with an expensive mistake. That said, I can't believe the OTA is likely to have much wrong with it. I wonder why the digital display seems to be displaying zeroes when presumably not plugged in?!

Leitz never really made large lenses apart from spotting scope ones. Unless this is an unusual one-off, the Leitz Wetzlar note maybe refers to the eyepiece end as I see a binoviewer there that may be a Leitz, als well as some eyepieces may.

The telescope control system looks like a prototype or a home built one. Would be interesting to know about the previous owner and the history of this machine. I would love to refurbish it but - pickup only, so no way.

I very nearly bid for that but, despite extensive research over the past few days, I've not been able to pin down exactly what you are getting. The seller clearly did not really know :glasses2:

If an SGL member was successful I'd love to know more about the equipment though :rolleyes:

It could be a development prototype that never made it into production (there was 1 Leica 102mm astro refractor prototype I believe) in which case it's probably an absolute steal.

The buyer has posted a report on his purchase now on the CN forum, refractors section. Basically it's not what he was hoping for :p

He is putting a positive face on it and clearly needs to investigate further as to precisely what he has got but it does not look like it's a Leica scope, unfortunately.

The owner , when you read his/her blurb says at first it is a microscope and then a telescope. It can't be both...can it?

Actually, it can. If you look at the left hand box in the right hand picture, you have what looks uncannily like a low-power binocular microscope.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I reckon the odds are that some of the other boxes contain stuff that is unrelated to either the telescope or the microscope.

Archived