Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are more expensive eyepieces wasted on an f10

spacebloke

Hi

Being as my scope if f10 are the more expensive eyepieces going to be overkill for a scope of that speed?

I currently use an Axiom 7mm and a Hyperion 17mm for viewing which are fantastic.

I'm hoping to buy another few eyepieces soon and wanted some opinions on whether I'm going a bit too far buying the more expensive ones.

I really do like the 'spacewalk' feel that I get with the axiom and the hyperion though so ideally I would like ep's with a good FOV.

Cheers, Stuart

The 82* on the Ax's are great on any scope in my view, if you can afford it I would go for the better quality as they are transferable to any scope you might acquire in the future, the other thing is, scopes may come and go, but good ep's stay with you!

An F/10 scope will enable lower cost eyepieces to show sharp stars closer to the edge of the field of view. Premium eyepieces have other qualities such as glare control and light transmission as well of course which will benefit the user with a slow scope.

Not wasted but the improvement may not appear so great. If the view is sharper all the way out and the contrast is higher and the actual object sharper then you see more.

The question that only you can answer is: Is the improvement significant enough to be worth the additional cost.

Also what are "More expensive eyepieces" ? Pentax/Nagler's or are we talking GSO plossl's compared to TV plossl's ?

Also what are "More expensive eyepieces" ? Pentax/Nagler's or are we talking GSO plossl's compared to TV plossl's ?

I'm not talking top top end like the £400 ones. Just the difference between a £50 EP and a £100 one for example.

Like a Meade 5000 super plossl £50 compared to a £92 Baader hyperion.

then yes, you will see a big difference in the lower end the difference is more, i find in slow scopes above the baader your just paying for FOV, i cant notice any quality difference in my nagler and a hyperion at f10... would i see much in a hyperion and a panoptic.. i doubt it

Hi Kef9, suprised to hear you have had bad results with WA ep's on your C100ED, I have only had good results with mine, any particular ep's? The big WA's I use is the Axiom LX's and one at 23mm gives perfect results as well as at shorter focal lengths? Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Hi Kef9, suprised to hear you have had bad results with WA ep's on your C100ED, I have only had good results with mine, any particular ep's? The big WA's I use is the Axiom LX's and one at 23mm gives perfect results as well as at shorter focal lengths? Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Hi rwilkey

Its funny you should say that because the worst offender I've ever had was a 26mm panaview and I noticed you have the 32mm version!

I would imagine that the axioms perform perfectly given that they are a premium eyepiece. :glasses2:

I have to admit, I have not used the Pan with the C100ED, but I will try it next clear night! I bought the Ax's for use with the C100ED, not for their full price I might add, often at half their listed price second hand, ebay etc. The other Ax's I have are the 10mm and the 7mm.

Agreed, I would go for the best you can afford. It makes them transferable in future, and you gain the benefits of better contrast and fov.

I use a range of tv's and bgo's in an f6.5 refractor and an f20 mak. They give very different mags in each but the basic benefits are there in both.

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hi Stu, I agree entirely, the green and blacks are out of my budget range, but I am slowly building a collection of lower priced premium ep's, usually bought s/h. How can you use a phone skipping several strings on SGL? I was just reading your answers on 'focal length'!

That's a good approach. Buying 2nd hand, you get the chance to try a range of ep's and if they don't suit you, you can shift them on to someone else and not lose much or any money on the deal.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S with Tapatalk which makes it very easy to access the forum, and track threads that you are posting in. There is a free read only version and a chargeable full version, well worth it

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I have to say, I love my 13mm LVW which I got from Opticron for £99 (£100 off) at the SW Astronomy Fair, a great deal and a great ep!

I saw those for sale at the SW Astro Fair too - what a great bargain - around half price :glasses2:

Hi John, yes, a brilliant deal, they had the whole range, I am dead chuffed with my purchase, shame I couldn't buy the whole range as they are great EP's judging by the 13mm. Those are great EP's Stu, but I am spent up now, and reckon I have all I need (famous last words), no more room in my cases anyway.

Archived