NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have anything preventing the floor joists twisting or rolling, Gina? I can't see anything in the pictures and would suggest they'd be a good plan -- just using offcuts if necessary.

James

I'm planning to add some noggins in strategic places later, before I fix the floorboards.

I want to see what offcuts I get. I already have some which just need cutting down to length.

This is what I was planning but maybe this is overkill. Certainly the left hand end ones are unnecessary

because the joists are screwed to the beams so held at the bottom and also to the framework of the obsy east wall at the top.

post-25795-133877663193_thumb.png

17 September 2011

Struts for obsy south wall cut to size and shape and put in place.

11-09-17-1.jpg

Obsy north wall frame pieces cut, screwed together and erected. Then fixed in place.

The roll off rail is supported on a post at the west end - this is currently spaced and held in place temporarily. A proper post top will be added later.

11-09-17-2.jpg

18 September 2011 and up-to-date at last :) Phew! :)

The wet and dull weather this morning meant nothing done on this project. The afternoon was a bit better with frequent showers.

I was able to cut another six floorboards to length and they can be seen placed in the warm room floor area in this next photo.

11-09-18.jpg

Right... Now posting build updates in this thread :)

Well, it started off fine this morning but we've had a heavy shower and the forecast is for more of them :)

I have managed to cut some more floorboards and put them on the joists temporarily. Here is part of the webcam image.

post-25795-133877663294_thumb.png

Gina,

A couple of comments....

Cover the flooring with a tarp to reduce warping and expansion due to the wet...when they dry they'll shrink and leave gaps (don't ask how I know!)

Also, I assume you'll add similar bracing to the other wall and some noggins?

Gina,

A couple of comments....

Cover the flooring with a tarp to reduce warping and expansion due to the wet...when they dry they'll shrink and leave gaps (don't ask how I know!)

Yes, now that we're getting wet weather I will cover it up - I have a big tarp for the job
Also, I assume you'll add similar bracing to the other wall and some noggins?
Oh yes, I have that planned. All the walls will have bracing and I think the north wall will want noggins being quite a lot higher.

Similar bracing to the south wall would be at too small an angle to be effective. I expect to have plenty of offcuts by the time I've cut

the main framework pieces.

The rain seems to have stopped now, as forecast :) No sunshine yet though.

I've cut the rest of the floorboards and they fit just right except that I've got to "adjust" the pier hole a bit.

When I got the timber it was very wet especially the floorboards which were on top of the heap and they are still wet coming out of the shed

(I had them piled up in one heap). Now, even though they've had a bit of rain on them they're still shrinking. I didn't realise they had swelled quite so much.

The pier hole is now half an inch out of position so I need to take some more out from the west side of the pier. Not a problem with an electric jig saw.

I still have work to do to the floor before the floorboards are fixed down, in addition to the pier hole. A couple of joists under the warm room to

be screwed down and noggins to be put in. A hole needs cutting in one of the floorboard for the cable ducting (alias 40mm plastic pipe and elbows).

This weather is very frustrating Gina. I'm at present using the tarp covered obsy as a work area attaching the castors to the roof supports.

Actually, it's quite cosy in there with a slight breeze keeping me cool.:)

This weather is very frustrating Gina.
It sure is!!!! The rain had stopped by lunch time and I was all set to move the floorboards and work on the joists etc. But it's started drizzling :)

It was supposed to be fine this afternoon and it didn't seem worth putting the tarp on - I was expecting to be working on it! Grrrr...

I'm at present using the tarp covered obsy as a work area attaching the castors to the roof supports.

Actually, it's quite cosy in there with a slight breeze keeping me cool.:)

Good idea :) I guess I'll be cutting pieces for the other walls in the shed. If there's enough light.

Well... no sawdust made this afternoon! Spent all my time and energy getting the tarp over the top of the building and roped down.

It nearly took off several times but I think I've got it tamed now. I hope we don't get too much wind.

I've got a couple of pieces of old timber helping to hold the tarp up. It rained again while I was inside roping it down.

No sign of the sunny afternoon we were forecast! :)

hat's off to you Gina - makes my dob project look miniscule! hope it all goes to plan and the weather plays ball.
Thank you :) But don't put yourself down - I think your Dob build is really great! :) :)

Gina - do you really need noggins on this build. Presumably your fixing your flooring to the joists and its not a heavy duty application...

Perhaps around the pier to tie things there but the rest of the floor area should be fine.

Your not skimping on the floor boards by the looks of things

Gina - do you really need noggins on this build. Presumably your fixing your flooring to the joists and its not a heavy duty application...

IME the joists can twist over time without some sort of noggin or cross-brace to prevent movement. I think they help with rigidity a little, too. In something the size of Gina's obsy it may not make a difference in the end, but if the offcuts are there I'd be tempted to use them.

James

OK. If the off-cuts are available then fine. But looking at Gina's excellent pics the joists are already tied into the sub-floor beams and with the floor boards on top I don't think there will be movement. There's also one other thing to consider that of underfloor ventilation - full height noggins will stop air movement and given the location air needs to circulate underneath to keep moisture to reasonable levels.

Francis

Thank you for all your comments :) There's one easy answer to the problem with full height noggins and air circulation... use less than full height noggins :) Also there's no need for noggins where the beams are - the joists are fastened at the bottom into the beams and at the top by the floorboards. I shall have 3x2 (75x47mm) and probably 4x2 (100x47mm) offcuts which I can use for noggins. I can leave fastening down the floorboards till the last - they're not going anywhere :)

Talking of fastening down the floorboards, I was wondering if I could use nail gun brads rather than the usual 65mm lost head flooring nails.

The way the building is designed (modular) the wall frames are sat on top of the floorboards and will be screwed down through floorboards into the joists. Using the nail gun would save a lot of work. Also, if a problem were to arise, the floorboards would be easier to lift.

Memo to self - don't forget to put the insulation under the warm room floor before fastening down the floorboards! :) And preferably before putting the warm room wall frames in.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my latest thoughts about noggins. To provide a tidy entrance at the door end of the warm room, I'm thinking of using a piece of timber across the ends of the joists.

post-25795-133877663731_thumb.jpg

Archived