NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

There then followed what must have been about the most exhausting day of my life! Pouring the concrete for the pier and base. At least I had the use of a cement mixer to actually mix the concrete and tractor and link box to transport the ballast from a big bag by the gates and bags of concrete from the shed to the site. This next photo shows the setup.

I was able to back the tractor and link box down to the edge of the site and use a three-quarter piece of plywood to go across to the edge of the shuttering, supported on concrete blocks, to support the mixer. The raw materials were put in the link box and shovelled into a galvanised bucket to carry to the mixer. Water was put in a plastic dustbin with a garden hose and scooped out to put in the mixer.

Pier-base-filling.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After this I screwed the top shuttering on, complete with plant pots attached. Then the pots section of the pier was filled with concrete using a garden trowel.

Here we see the plant pots filled with concrete. The concrete was poked into all the corners as it was poured - or at this stage trowelled into the pots.

Pier-base-filling5.jpg

Next stage was to place the cardboard tube on top of the plant pot, line it up and fill it with concrete with the trowel, tamping it down around the rods as it was filled.

Here are a couple of photos of the pier filled to the top. The concrete part of the pier was then complete. Phew!! Got it done just as it was getting dark. These photos were actually taken the following day.

Pier-filling1.jpg

Pier-filling2.jpg

being new to all of this I am really caught up in pictures of peoples gear and observatory builds but the problem I have with this thread is what the photos do not say. You seem to live in the countryside with really good views and I cannot help but be green with envy for your location as well as your excellent observatory threads. Maybe one day I will manage my house buried away in the purbecks and get the countryside life back.

Excellent thread though - do you have a blog where this all resides too?

being new to all of this I am really caught up in pictures of peoples gear and observatory builds but the problem I have with this thread is what the photos do not say. You seem to live in the countryside with really good views and I cannot help but be green with envy for your location as well as your excellent observatory threads. Maybe one day I will manage my house buried away in the purbecks and get the countryside life back.
Yes, we do live in the countryside and have a smallholding with a few goats, a couple of ducks and a hen plus a dog and two cats. Yes, we have a great view and the sky is pretty clear of light pollution :(
Excellent thread though - do you have a blog where this all resides too?
No, no blog - almost all my astronomy info is on here. I have a website for my weather station and am starting an astronomy section on that.

After letting the concrete set and harden for a week it was time for the "unveiling" - removing the shuttering etc.

Unveilling1.jpg

Firstly, unscrew and lift off the top shuttering.

Unveilling2.jpg

Then the side shuttering...

Unveilling4.jpg

Unveilling5.jpg

Unveilling6.jpg

Hope the weather is better for construction tomorrow. It's been horrible here today.

James

Same here! Today has started off even worse with torrential rain. A lot overnight too. It's just about stopped now I think and the sky's beginning to look a bit brighter. It's supposed to get much better this afternoon so fingers crossed. I can saw up timber in the big shed but it helps to have fairly bright weather because the lights aren't that good (though I do have a 500W work light I could use).

Anyway, I shall be catching up with housework and other indoor jobs today. Mustn't let the obsy take over tooo much :)

Hmmpfff.... The last few photos I thought I'd posted last night aren't there :) I guess I must have forgotten to actually post them after checking the Preview - probably tired. Oh well... try again :)

The unveiling of the pier :-

Firstly the cardboard tube, having served it's purpose of containing the concrete while it set and hardened.

Pier-concrete.jpg

Later on I decided that the plant pots should go too. They didn't look right and had served their main purpose of retaining the concrete while it set and hardened.

Firstly the top pot...

Pier-pot-removal.jpg

Then the bottom one.

Pier-pot-removal1.jpg

Pier-pot-removal2.jpg

Finally for the pier, levelling the pier adapter ready to take the mount. I'll start another thread for the construction of the pier adapter as I think it warrants a thread of it's own, and carry on here with the actual observatory build.

Pier-level1.jpg

With the concreting all done, the next stage was to creosote the floor beams and set them in place, with damp-proof course between them and the foundation blocks.

Here we see the beams set up off the ground ready for creosoting.

Beams.jpg

Creosoting finished on one beam - two to go...

Beams1.jpg

Having creosoted the beams and let them dry they were ready to be laid on damp-proof course on top of the concrete foundation blocks.

So suitable lengths of DPC were cut from the roll and set in position between beams and concrete as each beam was put in place.

Beams-in-place.jpg

From a different angle also showing the mount on the pier adapter.

Beams-in-place1.jpg

Here is a close-up of one of the bases with the DPC. The wall ties set into the concrete to fasten down the beams

(in preparation for any hurricane that might come along) can also be seen more clearly.

Beams-in-place3.jpg

nnn

I had four 3" square by about 6' long pieces of second hand timber so I'm using them for the corner posts of the observatory.

In fact the two at the east end are corner posts but the two at the west end (nearest the camera in the photo) are supports for the roll off rail.

The white thing is a 2m length of 40mm waste pipe I'm using as a cable conduit between obsy and warm room.

11-09-12-1437-corner-posts.jpg

12 September 2011 - Timber delivered. :)

The next two photos show the timber I bought in, stacked in several piles after bringing it in from the yard

- plus the saw bench with electric mitre saw on it. Bench is rather an exaggeration - it's a folding table and just strong enough.

11-09-12-1437-shed-1.jpg

11-09-12-1437-shed-2.jpg

13 September 2011

1. Joists cut to length and placed roughly in position.

2. Top and bottom obsy east wall frame pieces also cut and bottom piece placed in position.

3. 40mm plastic pipe cut to length and connected up to elbows to provide cable conduit.

11-09-13-joists.jpg

11-09-13-joists-1.jpg

1. Rest of obsy east wall frame pieces cut and edge pieces fitted in place.

2. Some of the floorboards cut to length.

11-09-13-joists-2.jpg

Gina, I applaud your handywork, that is some lovely countryside you are in there, with some nice dark skies to go with it I don`t doubt.
Thank you :) Yes, the sky's pretty dark though there are light sources a few miles away. Like the town of Honiton to the south-west.

15 September 2011

Wood cut for obsy south wall frame, screwed together and fitted in position.

The brown and white "object" with four legs, is one of our young goats trying to eat the floor joists :)

11-09-15.jpg

Archived