Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another very warm and sunny day again today with a light breeze. Quite satisfied with today's progress.

1. Finished off the warm room roof frame.

2. Took the OSB off the roof, laid it out on the floor and cut it to length with circular saw.

3. Warm room window frame.

4. Started filling in the warm room north wall top.

5. Cut some timbers for the roll off roof.

6. Screwed down the first sheet of OSB on the warm room roof.

2011-09-30-4.jpg

2011-09-30-5.jpg

2011-09-30-6.jpg

2011-09-30-7.jpg

2011-09-30-8.jpg

2011-09-30-9.jpg

2011-09-30-a.jpg

2011-09-30-b.jpg

2011-09-30-c.jpg

Thanks Tony :p

Yes, nice to get up to roof level :) Though there are still a few lower level jobs. These are mostly waiting to see what off-cuts I have left once I've cut the long pieces. Struts and noggins in particular.

I'm hoping to be working on the "trolley" alias ROR, today. Got to sort out some sort of jig to drill the holes for the wheel axle bolts as exactly as possible to make sure the load is spread evenly over the wheels. Also, expecting to cut the other piece of OSB for the warm room roof and put that on.

Looking good Gina:D:D

That's going to be a big Warm Room.....

Wayne

Thanks Wayne :) I don't like to be cramped :)

We had a bit of high level cloud this morning but it didn't last long and now it's hotter than ever! Too hot to work outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. Now I'm indoors for a break and cool off.

I could do with the south wall done to provide a "cool" room to work in!! :p The warm room now has a roof though not a waterproof one as yet.

Not a lot of progress today - the heat got to me :)

1. Cut the second (and last) piece of OSB for the warm room roof and fitted it.

2. Moved bench drill and made jig for drilling holes accurately for ROR wheels.

3. Cut wood and drilled holes in sides of one wheel assembly for ROR.

4. Assembled above with wheels and bolts.

5. Cut and screwed in one strut in the dividing wall.

2011-10-01-1.jpg

Hot again today but I've put up a sun screen to keep the sun off me and give me some shade to work in. So I can do some things outdoors in view of the webcam.

Been working on the trolley for the roll off roof. Coming on alright :)

Fair bit done today - but one big job progressed rather than several small ones completed :)

So progress today :-

1. Further work on the roll off section. The four corner posts and the end angled pieces on one side. This photo is slightly lower quality than usual as it was quite late and the light was going. 0.8s exposure at f5.6 and 400ASA.

2011-10-02.jpg

Another fine, sunny and very warm day until this evening when the wind got up, it looked like it was raining to the west and very dark clouds came over. So it was a quick finish off what I was doing and get the tarp on pronto! I normally take a photo or two after I clear up in the evening but today I didn't get the chance so, sorry, no photo today.

Been working on the roll off roof frames. Now have the north side frame virtually finished and the south side about half done. I also have the sides joined by east and west end cross members plus the middle/top beam supports done and a test length of timber put in place.

A lot of work but it's gradually getting done. I'll try and get a photo or two tomorrow but it depends on the weather, which seems to have broken up now :(

EDIT... I can attach a webcam image taken about 7pm as I was struggling to get the tarp on before the wind blew it away :)

post-25795-133877671606_thumb.jpg

Looking really good Gina, and it's come along way in a few days :)

Keep up the good work

Thanks Glen :(

Just realised... I do have some pics of the work today - the webcam saved image files :) So here's part of one saved at 17:30.

post-25795-133877671617_thumb.png

A complete change in the weather! Started yesterday evening and today we have a light drizzle with a light breeze and a lot colder. I don't think I'll be doing much to the build today. Anyway, after that great push ahead during the good weather, I could do with an easier day :) Plus, catch up on some of the other jobs that were put on hold to take full advantage of the dry weather.

Probably won't be doing much for a day or two due to the weather. Did manage to cut the ends off a couple of bits that wanted shortening and moved the trolley (roll off roof) over the warm room to improve the coverage of the tarpaulin. Also, improved the covering of sharp corners and tied the tarp down a bit better. Just as well as the wind has got up now and forecast to get a lot worse! sigh.gif

Really miserable day here - not only windy but overcast and dull with occasional light drizzle.

Archived