NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's arrived! From 4" to 11" :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats......you must be well pleased..:D

Its a disturbing warm fuzzy feeling when you unpack your scope....;)

Just couldn't stop staring at it once setup for first few weeks....

And of course - First light took ages like an eternity as I waited for clear skies :)

Very nice Chris,

as for collimation, I have been using my cpc 925 for almost two years now and have found it not needing it. Still giving excellent views! and its been moved around a fair bit.

I was advised when I first bought it not to worry to much about that as sct's normally hold it well once set.

Very nice Chris,

as for collimation, I have been using my cpc 925 for almost two years now and have found it not needing it. Still giving excellent views! and its been moved around a fair bit.

I was advised when I first bought it not to worry to much about that as sct's normally hold it well once set.

I had read that somewhere, too.

I can't wait to start accessorising it now - I just need to get some longer term work arranged first though, otherwise I might get clobbered by 'er indoors. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some of the extras for Christmas / birthday at the end of the year - after all, it'll probably still be cloudy until then! :)

Hmmm.

I've used Bob's Knobs on all my Meade SCT's ( 8", 10" and 12" Lx200) and now also on the Celestrons; initially the C9.25 and soon on the CPC11.

I honestly believe "Bob" knows his stuff and if you purchase the correct version of the knobs for your scope they will do to job.

Having said that, I've moved my scopes all around the world and generally never have to re-collimate them, but hey...you need something to play with. ;-)

My experience is that SCT's hold their collimation well too. It's worth understanding the collimation testing and re-setting process though because if they do go out of collimation a bit it has quite an impact on their performance, particularly on planetary contrast. This web page explains more:

Thierry Legault - The collimation

Hmmm.

I've used Bob's Knobs on all my Meade SCT's ( 8", 10" and 12" Lx200) and now also on the Celestrons; initially the C9.25 and soon on the CPC11.

I honestly believe "Bob" knows his stuff and if you purchase the correct version of the knobs for your scope they will do to job.

Having said that, I've moved my scopes all around the world and generally never have to re-collimate them, but hey...you need something to play with. ;-)

What is it with astronomy and things with the 'ob' sound? Bob, knob, dob, ob.... :) Bob adjusted his knobs on the dob in the ob! :D

I've also now done the destruction / construction on the SPC, so the nosepiece and filter are now attached and ready for use. I've downloaded various programs to capture and stack and given it a quick try with the 4SE. :)

With the SPC captures, what frame rate is best for planets and the moon?

oooooh... slightly off point was that a g25 racing wheel in the background of one of those shots? I used to have one, they're great aren't they :D

I have aperture envy now :D

Yep, well spotted, it is a G25. :p Not sure if it shows in any of the photos, I have a projection system, to a 94" screen, that I use for watching films and playing games on the PS3 and Wii. Linked in to a nice surround system with one of these handling the bass: SVSound - Cylinder Subwoofers ;)

I need something fun for when the frustration of constant cloud cover gets too much! :)

Two thing that are a must is a Dew shield - whether bought or hand made, the other is corrector plate dew heater...you can buy them, however I had a bag of resistors to hand so made my own and plumbed it into the 12V output from my power tank....works a treat....

Fighting dew is the only drawback to owning a Cat :)

Two thing that are a must is a Dew shield - whether bought or hand made, the other is corrector plate dew heater...you can buy them, however I had a bag of resistors to hand so made my own and plumbed it into the 12V output from my power tank....works a treat....

Fighting dew is the only drawback to owning a Cat ;)

I made the dew shield for my 4SE and that works really well. For the C11, I've got the Celestron dew shield. I'll wait and see how bad dew gets before ordering a heater - it could end up on the Christmas list! :D Until then, I guess I could use a hair dryer like Pingster atop Bignor (mind you, I think he was doing his hair with it! :)).

Archived