Hi There :-)

EntropyStar

Hi,

I just realised I hadn't taken the time to introduce myself!

I'm a relatively young one (28) and currently studying for a degree in Physical Sciences (specifically Astrophysics). I have a relatively rubbish scope at present (some cheap £100 celestron scope I picked up 2nd hand for £20) and making do with that before splashing out on a Dob in the next few months. I'm passionate about science as a whole but my first love has always been Astronomy. I'm having slight identity crisis at the mo as I'm finding the world of particle physics is really grabbing me and I don't know who's going to win...particle vs astrophysics in my long-term study/career goals. I'm fairly new to observational astronomy and will no doubt ask a wedge of seemingly stupid questions about using scope! I guess that's the price you pay for looking at books/equations/theories 24/7 instead of going out there and actually viewing.

I have a semi interested girlfriend (Kayleigh) who will on occasions accompany me out viewing and gets no end of useless facts and celestial trivia heading her way. Behind every good man is a women rolling her eyes right?!! She knows her Kuiper Belt from the Asteroid belt but likes to keeps things relatively simple and more practical based.

We live outside Oxford in 'the shire' (as we say) and are forever plagued with light pollution from a nearby designer Shopping Village (if that doesn't narrow us down, nothing short of a postcode will). I'm a lover of all things celestial but Saturn grabs my attention the most.

We've both been to many scientific related places, lectures etc but a standout will always be visiting Kennedy Space Centre and taking a tour round one of the factories assembling ISS modules.

Away completely from this we're both very keen motorsports fans (esp. F1, Le Mans series and GT racing...plus massively into online racing i.e..Forza, IRacing), and I’m supposedly still a musician (guitarist of 15 years with a sound engineering qualification) though I haven't gigged for a few months and been too absorbed in studies to play much recently. I'm also very much into photography and keep scaring myself working out how much a decent imaging setup costs. Kay's runs a part time cake making service on the side and will happily stuff us all to death at Star parties we may attend etc.

I'm currently looking for an Astronomy club close to me, Oxford itself is sadly lacking many Astro groups and in my experience they tend to be for Oxford uni attendee's only (correct me if wrong). I think that leaves me Abingdon, Chipping Norton, Aylesbury, and Milton Keynes as my local choices. If anyone has any experience of them I’d love to know more.

Hope to catch you all very soon out and about viewing :-)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi hope you enjoy the forum , I will need to send you pics of my shed , its full of guitars and scopes , I just picked up a nice stagg les Paul copy ,plays beautiful .. goes well with my peavy modeling amp ,, have fun ,and don't buy anything or it will be cloudy for weeks lol

Good man...Les Paul player :-)

I got a Les Paul but cheated by buying the Epiphone custom (same triple AAA wood as LS standard) and then fitting it with Gibson Burst Bucker Pro's. Got a few other bits n peices like the obligatory thrash metal ibanez, 335 semi acoustic, 12 string acoustic, few classical guitars. I kinda lost the love a bit recently though and started to think about making some physical and economic space for a 10'' dob :-)

Noted the D300.....gotta say I prefer Nikon's, the new D5100 is on my horizon but the scopes going to get there first.

Thanks for saying hi

yep you gotta have an ibanez , i got a metallic green ibanez x with single pole buckers , the nikon is the wife`s though , she loves her photography , but i steal camera when its dark lol ,

as said the only daft question is the one you dont ask . :(:)

Archived