Hi from Surrey!

Leebert

Hi all,

I’m Lee from NE Surrey.

I’m kind of a re-born newbie into astronomy.

I started out about 15 years ago with a little 4 inch Newtonian telescope. The make escapes me but it was painted an ‘interesting’ metallic green hammerite.

That was quickly upgraded to an 8 inch Orion Optics Europa which was fantastic but had to go due to space. Finally, I had a 3 1/2 inch Maksutov Cassegrain. A camera purchase re-kindled my interest in Astro-photography so the little Maksutov was sold to make way for a bigger scope with a driven EQ mount more suited to camera work.

Alas, I’m no longer in touch with what’s good or, more importantly, what’s not in the market place so will be searching the forums and web for reviews and recommendations (Cue next thread!).

Looking forward to clear skies now the evenings are drawing in.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forum Lee :)

In the last few years the marketplace for astro gear has changed beyond all recognition I think you will find. Generally, despite some recent price rises, equipment is more affordable today and the range is truly mind boggling !.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like to help you find equipment that is right for you :(

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :(

TheThing: I am just around the corner in Caterham.

I was in Astronomia in Dorking the other day with my wife holding on very firmly to my wallet whilst I drooled over some things of beauty :) and the chap in there was talking about star gazing evenings at Leith Hill. Do similar things happen on Epsom Downs or near by at all. I would be interested in attending something like that armed with all my newbie questions!

Many thanks.

the chap in there was talking about star gazing evenings at Leith Hill. Do similar things happen on Epsom Downs or near by at all. I would be interested in attending something like that armed with all my newbie questions!

Many thanks.

Hi

Check out the "Surrey Observers" We meet on Ranmore Common most clear nights ( whatever they are ).

You can find us via the "community link" / "social groups" on the top of this page.

Regards Steve

Archived