NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Allo.

flapjackboy

Hello SGL :D I registered the other day after discovering this site and seeing how much of a great community it was. Anyways I thought I should say hi. Im from Darlington in County Durham, am 19, and have been into astronomy a little for as long as I can remember. I didnt know much about anything though until recently when I started learning constellations & facts and such (a lot off this website thanks to the primers), and discovering Winstars 2 and Starry Night, both of which are frighteningly poweful things.

Anyways I've bought a telescope....I know ebay and almost everything on there gets horribly burned by the community but Im on a very tight budget (being a student) and so bought a 6 inch reflector off there, since cost is my primary concern. I did have huge doubts but am fairly impressed I have to say - 750mm focal length, the mirrors seem aligned perfectly (for now), and the mount works fine. The manual covered alignment (although not as well as elsewhere) and the lenses seem fine apart from the barlow (which is hopefully being replaced soon...Ive also bought a cheap lens set for extra lenses to use).

I tried it out tonight and I had some success :D The actual scope worked fine, but having never used a scope before I think the problems I had were all my doing. I hadnt made sure the finding scope was in line with the main scope, so my aim was off - I also forgot about the whole focuser deal and managed to spend an hour wondering why I could only see blurs :lol: After that I did find some things and was overjoyed! I got a good look at Betelgeuse, Saturn and something very bright to the West (Venus?). I really wanted to look at deep space objects (hence the 6 inch scope) but I dont think im up to finding them yet. Overall I though it was great and cant wait for tomorrow night :lol: But thought its about time I got round to saying hi. So...hi :D

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you spend a little time in daylight getting your finder scope set up as precisely as you can. When I started I found that I wasted so many nights and got so frustrated because I couldn't find anything - and then I got a proper finder and the difference in the pleasure rating was amazing :shock:.

My next step was then to look at Starrynight or a book and work out what I wanted to see before I went out - this again added to the pleasure.

But enjoy - its a great feeling!

best wishes

Helen

Cheers. I got the finder sorted today so that shouldnt be a problem tonight, but a new finder costs money so I'll hold off one for now I think...red dot finders do seem a modest price so its certainly something to consider if I get really desperate, but we'll see how it goes. Thanks again :D

Archived