NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what binoculars do you own

jango fett

Two pairs of Helios Stellar II, 10x50 and 15x70's on a tripod or monopod depending on my mood.

The 15x70's have been getting much more use than the mak127 of late.

Edited by JDF

Starting with the lowest mag:

6x24 Hensoldt vintage WWII

6.5x32 Opticron Adventurer

7x35 vintage Revue, 7x50 "Olympia" wide angle (9.8°), 7x35 Nikon Aculon.

8x: Komz 8x30, Luna Super 8x30 (10° -- my most impressive wide angle bino), 8x30 Bresser Everest vintage wide angle, 8x30 Raffelbach vintage wide angle, 8x30 Chinese "Baigish"-knock-off, 8x56 Kite Cervus HD, 8x56 vintage Porst Ultra, 8x40 Oberwerk Mariner, 8x30 Optolyth, 8x30 Steiner Marine, 8x25 Steiner "Ultrasharp"

9x: Porst Ultra

10x: Ddoptics Lux HR, Sotem 10x50, vintage Chinon wide angle 10x50, Bresser Hunter 10x50, vintage Revue 10x50, Fujinon KF 10x42H, Svbony SV202 10x50

12x: 12x45 Komz, 12x50 Vortex Diamondback, 12x50 Soligor wide angle, 12x50 vintave Chinon wide angle.

15x: Ddoptics Pirschler, 15x70 Celestron

16x: 16x50 Nikon Aculon

18x: 18x50IS canon

20: 20x60 Tento, Celestron 20x80

There are a couple pocket binos: 8x21, 10x25.

Edited by Astronerd76
Forgot a few
  • Like 2

I currently have a pair of Opticron Oregon 15x70 and a pair of Pentax WP 20x60 both on tripods however i seem to be using my 120 refractor more often and I’m actually contemplating putting one of them up for sale in the near future 

• Like 1

Further to my previous post I had an hour to kill before going out to a function tonight. So all dressed up i looked outside to see my skies being clear, so just had to grab my binoculars. I had forgotten just how much can be seen with binoculars. I was totally surprised just how well I could see M42 and how much nebulosity was visible. I used my Pentax 20x60 which were crystal clear. If I had longer I would have brought out a tripod for even more enjoyment.Binoculars are the ultimate grab and go 

• Like 6

Use purposes for the viewers of this website are, naturally, night sky observation, where aperture is of paramount importance. However, for general daylight binocular observing I can recommend this modestly priced Kowa model, available in 6x or 8x variety, 30mm objective (now mfd with green rubber armoring). At their price-point they are excellent, in my view:

IMGP3112.JPG.0fb53e5ae4092fc949fee111d9d8962a.JPG

IMGP3113.JPG.2e1ac065c3286b8ba770f4b0fe0d6ab5.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Orion Giantview IF 15x70s.  My favorite, but definitely need a tripod.

Nikon Aculon 10x50s.  Easy to handhold and transport.

US Navy WWII-era 7x50s.  Not that much magnification, but built like a tank with excellent optics.

Opticron 8x25s.  Bought these mainly for nature / casual birding.  Rather small for astro IMO, but they fit in a jacket pocket.  It might have been better to buy a monocular, not sure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Just got my first pair of bins .

Can anyone recommend a tripod and a  adapter  if I need an adapter. 

Dave20220705_222940.thumb.jpg.58d4c9e2cb4c1836f23d8ad032198110.jpg20220705_223027.thumb.jpg.43ae972ec8332b4a209f08a9212de43b.jpg

A lot will depend on how you'd prefer to use them, seated or standing. The latter will need a tripod/monopod that can extend sufficiently yet still be stable and ideally not wobble. Adding a trigger grip as suggested above allows rapid changes to where you are viewing, might even be worth checking the bay for Manfrotto #222 which are the same. If you'd prefer seated then a parallelogram mount would be better as the tripod legs get in the way.

Either way a good carbon fiber tripod would likely work better than a metal one , tho I do find the giottos monopod works well for me when using binos but mine aren't as big or high mag as the ones you now have.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Hi Dave 

Myself along with others bought this one from Amazon. It’s very well made and solidly built. Your binoculars have their own adapter fitted and will simply screw on to the fitting on all photographic tripods 

Amazon Basics 177-cm Pistol Grip Tripod with Bag https://amzn.eu/d/cMUshMD

The pistol grip is recommended. I mount the grip either on an AZGTi tripod and extension pillar or the preferred method, a Manfrotto monopod for more freedom of movement. 20x80s may be a bit much for the monopod though? My 15x70s are 1.7kg and feel just right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Avantek 10x50 binoculars, but one of the lenses has come off of the roller :(. They still work, if I can align it right, which I usually can (phew). What worries me is that they can see the andromeda galaxy better than the telescope I've got. 😅

I wonder if tonight I might see this: 👽

• Confused 1

I will be trying my 10x50s on a Manfrotto 222 joystick on top of a monopod next week. Hopefully this will do the job and also be small enough to take on holiday around the north coast of Scotland in the campervan.  I normally use Helios 15x70s on a parallel mount but that combination is too big to take on holiday.

I will be using the binocular right angle adaptor fixed to a quick release plate so I can use my camera on the monopod when not using the binoculars. The manfrotto 222 has a quick release adaptor on top as standard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dark Adaptation said:

I have a pair of Avantek 10x50 binoculars, but one of the lenses has come off of the roller :(. They still work, if I can align it right, which I usually can (phew). What worries me is that they can see the andromeda galaxy better than the telescope I've got. 😅

I wonder if tonight I might see this: 👽

do you mean the eyepiece arm? Should just be a case of refit and tighten up the large central screw or has that gone AWOL?

I own a Celestron Skymaster 25x70 and Celestron UpClose G2 7z35.

I use the bigger one for closer views of celestial objects and the smaller for widefield viewing.

They do come in handy when I have trouble looking for certain celestial objects in the night sky from the naked eye.

8 hours ago, Dark Adaptation said:

No, I mean the actual eyepiece has come off 😭.BrokenBinocs.thumb.JPG.480a94f45c33db9a22861ce35c218785.JPG

Don't mind the timestamp, it's wrong.

ahh ok, so the arm has snapped, not as easy a fix but can be done if you've a mind to do it: