SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what binoculars do you own

jango fett

I only got the 10x42s yesterday so haven't really had time to assess but my initial thoughts are that the 10x42s are essentially perfect optically whereas the 12x36 are just "very very good". I'm a sucker for low power wide-field views anyway, so am naturally drawn towards the the x10 pair, and whenever I turn on the image stabilisation through the x12, I can always tell something is going on in the background.

The 12s are certainly less weighty and smaller though, by quite some way, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't x10s which I'd always reach for. 

I have a pair of cheap and cheerful Celestron Skymaster 15x70s that I've owned for about 6 weeks now. I can hand hold them for short bursts but I usually just pop them on my equally cheap and cheerful tripod for anything more than a quick look. I will say that every review I read before I purchased them mentioned that the included tripod adaptor is rubbish. I'm glad I trusted them and bought a cheap metal L shape adaptor at the same time because the included one really is awful. It's so flimsy it takes upto 10 secs for the wobble to subside with the slightest touch. The metal one eliminates this and cost £4.60. The carry case is ok, again it's flimsy but looks nice enough.

All in all I really like them. I get a nice sharp image In each eye and the main focus wheel is smooth and easy to operate with one finger. I was using them to take pictures with my phone, the cheap adaptor I got works well attached to an eyepad, but I soon learnt that cameras are better for taking pictures and binoculars are better to observe and just enjoy the nightsky with both eyes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nikon 10x50s and Celestron 15x70s.  I like the light-gathering ability of the Celestrons, but they were out of collimation when I got them and I stupidly didn't try them until the return period had expired.  I was able to recollimate them somewhat, but the adjustment screws are as far as they'll go now.  I would not buy another pair even though they were "a bargain".

Edited by jcj380
  • Like 1

Well I’ve had 15x70s, 10x50s and I couldn’t hold them steady for the life of me. I have some excellent Bushnell 8x42ed for bird watching with quite a wide view which I enjoy using but for stargazing I actually prefer my 7x50 Steiners. They have individual focussing on each eye which I set and forget, nice deep eye cups: they’re marine binoculars really but I find them perfect for sitting in a chair and casting around the sky.

Not most peoples idea of astronomy binoculars I know!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I own two pairs of binoculars, Pentax 10x50mm and Celestron 20x80mm. My 20x80s are my most used instrument and travel with me. My main interest is in variable stars and they generally allow me to get down to around mag 10 under my suburban skies. You can’t beat some of the stunning star fields. Take variables in the Double lustre in Perseus or those near eta Geminorum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Revelation 10x42 SF Waterproof Roof Prism Binoculars

I got these but I'm a bit disappointed with them looking for M13 or Jupiter's moons I cannot see them they are just 2 objects I've not seen there are others double cluster. 

6 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Revelation 10x42 SF Waterproof Roof Prism Binoculars

I bought these for my kids as presents for taking on holidays and walks just to see that bit more.  They have been really pleased with them and they have been much admired and envied by their peers.  I've peeped through them and for the cash paid (I think about £40 a set - brand new with damaged boxes from an astro buy and sell place) I think they were a stupendous buy,

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JOC said:

I bought these for my kids as presents for taking on holidays and walks just to see that bit more.  They have been really pleased with them and they have been much admired and envied by their peers.  I've peeped through them and for the cash paid (I think about £40 a set - brand new with damaged boxes from an astro buy and sell place) I think they were a stupendous buy,

£55 for terrestrial and bird watching they are brilliant great for the money just not that good for astronomy which is a pity really as they are lovely in my hands not too heavy. 

My bird watching binoculars are Bushnell roof prism Nature View 8x42 which iv had a long time and the views are still crisp even for astronomy use. 

My newest binoculars are the Opticron Oregon 20x80 which I got just for astronomy and am very impressed with the image through them. I grab my 8x42 to scan the skies then use the 20x80 to have a better look at something. 

If I really want to get a look I'll get my Tal 100 R out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are still undecided as to what Bino would suit you ...sir, I found Wild Proof Gear, google it, has a section on best binos for stargazing. It’s currently eight, not a great deal but something to peruse over.

chaz

Nikon Monarch 5 8x56 - The binoculars that got me back into astronomy after 40 years away... initially bought for general use, but then I turned them towards the night sky 😊

Pentax SP 20x60 WP - First purchase from @FLO specifically for astronomy. I was going to mount these, but decided to get telescopes instead...

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 - Use these when out walking and for holidays, but they do give nice wide field view of the sky too.

Edited by HollyHound

A cheap pair of Praktica 10x50. The edges are a little fuzzy but centrally they are very sharp. I can see Jupiter's moons with them. 

I just love using them to scan an area before I attempt any star-hopping. But before I had a telescope, they were in use with a tripod for all my observing. I have shown the kids Andromeda through them.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42's that I bought for non-astro stuff several years ago.I'm glad I have them now as use regularly. They give me a 5.8 deg FOV and so really do like them. I have been pondering a stronger companion for them, maybe 20x80, but there's other bits slightly higher up the 'wants list' I think. I might get a cheap bracket to mount to a tripod and try that at some point. 

• Like 1

After finding that the exit pupil of my old 7x50 Carl Zeiss Jenoptem WF bins was too big for my aging pupils I splashed out on a pair of 10x50 Vortex Crossfire from FLO, using a £100 voucher I got at my retirement to help the pain. I find they are much brighter, which I attribute to all the light from the objectives now getting into my eye.

I have to say I'm nearly 100% imager, but it's good to pick up a pair of bins for a look around while the real work is going on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nikon Action EX 10x50 - lightweight, portable and user friendly, gives a good view

Tento 20x60 - i don't use them anymore,  quite good image despite the age of these binoculars

APM 20x80 ED - with ED lenses gives magnificent, extra sharp view, the most used

Celestron Skymaster 25x100 - big fat thing that gives low-quality image but far beyond the magnitude of binoculars listed above

Orion Paragon HD Tripod

• Like 2

A pair of bins my late father in law gave me. Perfectly acceptable terrestrial use. Really useful for wide field field Astro, but the moment you use that chrome thumb lever you wished you hadn’t.

Best left at the lowest mag end and they give really good views of open star clusters and right now great for Jupiter moon spotting rested on the top of the washing line.

0BB9674C-3DB7-4503-A225-5323DE4612BF.jpeg

• Like 1

Opticron Tiaga 8x25 - Very bright for their limited apeture. Sharp too.

Zeiss Jenoptik 8x30 - I seem to have two pairs of these now.

Russian Komz / Baigish 8x30 - Zeiss copy from the USSR (as was). Sharp, rugged and low cost.

Swarovski Habicht Tirol 8x30 - Probably 50 years old. Battered but very sharp. Very light as well.

Boots Fleet 7x35 wide angle - decent Japan optics. 11 degree field.

Helios Nature Sport Plus 8x40 - nice day to day birding binoculars.

Helios nature Sport Plus 10x50 - as above. Pleasant to hold and use.

Opticron Vega II 8x56 - Japanese made but not out of the ordinary. Competent performers and good for travel because of decent light grasp with light weight.

Opticron Oregon 11x70 LER ZWCF - Japanese made and much better than the current Chinese 11x70's in my opinion. The largest binoculars I own and quite easy to hand hold.