Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova M101

Stephen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is already of magnitude 13.1 so it should be nearly in range of my 8" dob within a couple of days!

13.1 is doable with my C8 (I got 13th magnitude galaxies in the past. The dob with its smaller central obstruction should be better if anything.

Having said that, the persistent cloud cover is not helping, is it now.:rolleyes:

If its anything like the supernova from M51 earlier this year, it looks like a star has been added to the spiral structure. The pictures I have seen so far confirm this, although Im not sure if it will brighten over the next few weeks.

Personally, what always interests me are stars going supernova that are relatively close to us. When M1, the Crab Nebula, went supernova 1000 years ago, it was very bright to the naked eye. I think one of the stars in Orion's Belt is unstable as well, but it could explode tomorrow or a million years from now.

I suspect it's not far off mag 11 now. I imaged it last night with my 90mm refractor and 2011fe was far brighter than any of the other stars between us and the galaxy.

It really is quite striking at the moment - more so than the supernova in M51 was in June.

Archived