Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lazy Observing With Binoculars

Coco

After using Mikes (DemonBarbers) parallelogram Bino arms I decided it was the future as regards to Observing with binoculars..

Thought I'd take it one step further and get real comfy :)

post-15416-13387764896_thumb.jpg

post-15416-133877648967_thumb.jpg

Very nice, I might steal that idea. Looks like you have the same tripod as me, is it a Manfrotto 055XPROB?

Yes thats the one.. kit left over from my astrotrac days.. glad i kept it..

You will need a couter weight..

Peter

Can I ask how much that was to build? Is there any need to counter balance the weight of the binoculars on the opposite side of the head to stop the whole thing twisting? How did you mount attach it to the tripod? Could you do a picture of that part?

Thanks

Brian

Have you plans for this Parallelogram mount? How heavy is the tubing? How did you attach the head to the tubing? Do you have to weld it on or is it just bolted it on? Did you cut the metal braces yourself or did you buy them?

Thanks again

Brian

I was given a 5m length of ally tubing . I drew the plates up in autocad and had the plates laser cut foc. It all bolts together. I made the tripod myself out of scrap steel flat and turned up the pivot bush on the lathe. The 25x100s needed a fair bit of counterbalancing using wheightlifting plates. A manfrotto pan and tilt head was used to mount the bins.

Billy on the San Fran

Archived