Syt mae'n hongian? from Wales

Hairycamel

Hello all. Just joined as a middle aged nerd reliving my childhood fascination with astronomy. I used to have a 3" refractor in my bedroom pointing out of the window that I used to carry downstairs on cloudless nights! Anyhoo, I took the plunge and bought a second hand ETX-125 last year and have had great fun with it - things have moved on since I was young! But now I am caught in the bigger, better, faster spiral and have just sold my ETX thinking I would buy one of the new Skywatcher autotracking Dobsonians (10"). Anyone else agree with me?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hairycamel (..never thought I would ever write that!) and welcome to the forum.

Well a dobsonian will always provide the best value on aperture per pound spent and the auto tracking will certainly help you when you are showing others what you're looking at - good choice. Have you thought about downloading 'Stellarium' a free bit of planetary software which you can download from Here

Clear skies

James

Clear skies

Many thanks :)

Although my knowledge of welsh is very small, did pickup a few odd words and phrases when I lived in Bangor and the surrounding area for seven years. Where abouts are you based? North Wales has some cracking dark sky locations. It tends to be my weekend away stargazing first choice :eek:

With regards to your question you can't go wrong with a 10 inch Dob.

Pretty much regarded as a good balance between light gathering and still just about portable to put in the back of the car and whisk it off to some dark sky location.

My first proper scope is going to be something very similar I expect. Just need to clear a bit of space in the house for it :)

Archived