Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Post a sub?!

Revs

Just a suggestion which would be interesting and helpful, at least for me.. when you post an image, post a light! (or a link to one)

For us beginners it might good to see how good the lights need to be to result in said image. Heck, throw a dark in there too! :BangHead:

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you reckon?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this more what you meant? Three single 300s sub frames that have been given an almost optimal stretch or you would not be able to see anything. The yellowy pic is the original given an RGB mix using Hubble palette order of S2HaO3. The lower picture is after re-balancing the colours in MaxIm. I had to do that as the original total exposure times were not conducive to producing proper Hubble colours. The mono pictures are Ha, O3 and S2. Only Ha showed any detail in the original subs prior to stretching. The frames showed have no calibration applied. For the finished picture they had the full works.

A bigger version of the finished pic is here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/147710-na-neb-narrowband.html

Due to sky conditions this is the only picture I have managed this year. FSQ 106ED, STL 11000M, Guided by Atik16IC/TMB152, AP1200. Original processing in MaxIm and PS. Shown here are just screen grabs.

Dennis

post-15519-133877636576_thumb.jpg

Yup, exactly ;) Cheers Dennis! I just think it's interesting to see what goes in to achieve what comes out. I thought others might find this interesting, too, but it would seem not :BangHead:

Single sub vs. final image (24x 90sec + 20 darks, no flats) Canon 1000D on Explorer 150P using EOS utility on laptop for capture. Stacked using DSS. Processed using Photoshop elements 7 and Canon Photo pro.

post-18573-133877636756_thumb.jpg

post-18573-133877636764_thumb.jpg

Good idea Revs.

It is very interesting to see the images of the people who have posted and how the images build.

Thank you..:BangHead:

Edit: It is actually a great idea. It also helps give a idea of the amount of effort put in to achieve the end result.

Hi Mate,

This months Astronomy Now has a good section on building an image with info on what subs have been used and images along side of each description.

It's maybe a little advanced for some but quite informative.

I forgot to mention, the NA Nebula picture is made from 66 300s sub frames. I didn't show the completed channel master as I thought that was not what you were after. They almost look like acceptable pictures in their own right.

Dennis

This is a great idea! I've often puzzled over what people start with. I'd be particularly interested in pre-images on planets too. As I frequently process mine thinking I've got great data only to find its no better than the one i did on my last run (usually 6 weeks prior based on recent weather trouble) :(

Thanks for suggesting this ;):BangHead:

EDIT: Tought I better put my money where my mouth is. I know hard to tell which has been processed but its the second one.

post-24560-133877636806_thumb.jpg

post-24560-13387763681_thumb.jpeg

This is exactly what I've been trying to promote in my threads too. Would love to see this becoming the standard for image posting threads (i.e. before and after, and we can see what sort of skies you deal with).

Obviously it's your own hobby and your images, and do it for your own personal satisfaction, but these sort of threads which show "before and after", to me, is a million times more interesting than the regular style of image submissions (i.e. here's my finished pic, so that's it then...), no disrespect to the others though, who've taken much better images than I have managed!.

Clear skies everyone.

The difference between the two is quite remarkable on most of these. What a difference stacking and processing makes. Looking at the subs you wouldn't think it possible. Great images guys :BangHead:

The difference between the two is quite remarkable on most of these. What a difference stacking and processing makes. Looking at the subs you wouldn't think it possible. Great images guys :BangHead:

That's part of the excitement, for me. Back when I was doing single shots, years ago, it was disheartening seeing all that orange glow and knowing there wasn't a lot I could do about it. But more recently, I'd see the same glow, shove a couple of dozen through DSS and be presented with amazing things I didn't even know were hidden there.

Archived