Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting fed up now...

MorningMajor

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being quite new to this maybe im a bit naive but I setup some nights regardless of the cloud in the hope it shifts itself.

Although the last couple of times it hasnt been worth it.

Had a good night over the weekend with the recent clear spell , but before that I hadn't used the scope since early March.

Where I live, the cloud cover is inversely proportional to the fullness of the moon, clear weather on full moon, cloudy all other days. At least I don't have to bother with looking at weather forecasts that way...

I had an amazing nights viewing.

I started off by looking at saturn which by this time of the year is very low in the sky and nearly "tree'd out" It was ok viewing at about 100x magnification but still a nice target to try.

by about 11pm it was dark enough to start looking for other things.

I turned the scope around to Alberio whcih splits nicely in my 13mm EP with really saturated star colour. On from there I headed over to M56 which I find a tricky Globular to find and view in a small scope.

next was M57, ring nebula which on the limit of viewing with LP and a less than dark sky but it was noticable in structure especially with averted vision.

On from here i headed over to M13 which was a sight to behold now that it is near the zenith. I spent about half an hour just just on this target with about 100x magnification every so often i would see twinkling stars in the cluster which was mesmerising.

On from here it was over to see the "Coat hanger" also known as Brocchi's Cluster, it fitted perfectly in the view of my 13mm 82 degree EP. The differing star colours are striking as was how straight the stars are in alignment.

By now it was getting a bit late especially for a work night so I popped the 36mm EP with its 14x magnification on the scope and just trawled along cygnus, Aquila and onto Ophiuchus. there so many stars to see its just wonderful.

Now its getting to 1am so I decided to call it a night. I dragged the scope back indoors and took one last look at the stars to be greeted by the most spectacular fireball in the region of Arcturus. I just had a huge grin smiled to myself and thought how chuffed i was!

A great evening of summer viewing, just had to share my experience with anyone who will listen :)

Spent an hour last Friday night cruising round the clusters in Cygnus and looking at Albireo, but tiredness got the better of me, so packed in at midnight. That was the first time since mid-May. Roll-on autumn :)

It's been around 6 weeks since I got out for me too sadly. I'm blaming it on buying new kit which looks great but haven't had a chance to use it yet!

BBC forcasts clear skies here tonight but I'm looking out the window and all I see is cloud, cloud and more cloud hahaha................

At the risk of getting things thrown at me, I've just come back from a very good observing week in Spain. Out of interest I keep a record of the satellite images for the region, which highlight the cloud cover. A bit of goofing around with the pixel values lets me work out whether my place in Spain is under cloud, or if the sky is clear.

An example of the result is below:

_out_201106261300_s93g.gif

I've zoomed in the area of interest and added a date/time stamp. The graph underneath shows the "clearness index", with values above the green line being clear: orange if it's daytime, black if it's night. The red ticks are for each day, with a new image for every hour.

For even more showing off :) I've turned these individual plots into an animated GIF. If you're prepared to risk breaking your browser on a 40MB animation, you can have a look at the last few weeks here

It's been a while since I've got any serious observing in. Mainly due to a lack of motivation setting up in the middle of the night knowing I have to get up early the next morning. It's getting so bad I'm beginning to notice similar withdrawal symptoms to what I had when I packed in smoking :)

Mid May for night viewing and the 28th of June for solar viewing. I do not go pass midnight much for night viewing so roll on the longer nights. Of course during the summer months you do not have to be wrapped up with so many layers of clothing, so there is an advantage to summer viewing.

Peter

Archived