Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need feedback on Canon 1000d

JohnnyD333

Hello to all,

I am in the process of buying another DSLR and the popular choice amongst many is the Canon 1000d. I have the chance to purchase one for a good price. I would like to know why this camera seems to be so popular in the astrophoto community. There have been countless times where this camera has been praised in forums. Will I be making a good choice. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks again for the support SGL.;)

It's a good lightweight, small pixel DSLR camera. Gives good results and they are usually well priced. Bang per buck a good choice.

I have a Canon 450D (Std) and a modded Canon 1000D (full spectrum) for spectroscopy. Recommended.

I use Canon DSLR's and prior to getting a 1000D, I have used a 7D and 5DII for astro. I went down the 1000D route as it is far lighter than the other offerings I was hanging off the focuser and had everything I felt I needed for astro use. I got it modded and have to say that I have been very impressed with this little camera. The noise is OK really for a DSLR when I am taking 20 min subs, and can be sorted out with darks anyway. I am glad that I chose the 1000D and would not change it for any other astro DSLR. Liveview is useful to have as well, although now that I use my PC, I don't use liveview for focusing that is all done on a big screen!

One of the very useful things about the 1000D is that you can still achieve very reasonable results without having to modify it. Makes it a very versatile daytime and nighttime camera. Of course astro shots are better with the mod, but not bad without, so you at least have a choice ;)

Sorry to jump in Kim... interested about it being ok unmodded. Has it got a "tighter" IR filter than earlier models? I've been toying with getting my old 10D modded or upgrading to a better camera (limited budget) so the idea that I can get better red end sensitivity this way is of interest. ;)

Haich,

No, the overall response curve is very similar to the other Canons ( I've compared the 1000D to the 450D - not much difference) When you mod the camera - well that's when majic happens - a dramatic improvement in the red sensitivity.

Yup - as Merlin says - better with the mod for red sensitivity. But still usable on the night sky without the mod so long as you set your expectations appropriately - a good all round beginner's camera. ;)

Haich,

No, the overall response curve is very similar to the other Canons ( I've compared the 1000D to the 450D - not much difference) When you mod the camera - well that's when majic happens - a dramatic improvement in the red sensitivity.

Cheers - I thought I'd stumbled on a way to get better camera functionality with the added bonus of (some) improved sensitivity without shelling out on a camera and a mod!

I should have known better than to expect it to be that simple. Looks like it'll be a while before I can afford to upgrade and it'll be more likely that I'll be flogging a scope (probably my Megrez 88) as my engine blew up on the A38 yesterday. ;)

A mod when you remove the standard Canon filter, which is built into the camera body. It can be removed and not replaced (full spectrum mod), removed and replaced with a plain glass (again a full spectrum mod) or replaced with a UV-IR filter.

All of these options significantly improves the efficiency in the red part of the spectrum. So, for astrophotography you can record Ha from the various nebula with improved SNR and less exposure.

HTH

(edit) Karlo, no it can still be used for the family shots etc - you just need to establish a compensating white light balance....easily done.

Just to add my voice to this..

I went for the 1000D after finding astro software app support for my Nikon too limiting. I bought it just for Astro work and so far I have been very happy with the results. As yet I haven't done the mod, but I intend to. However, I have been surprised by it's performance without it. I posted an example of this here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-image-processing-help-techniques/146096-first-image-post-m52-ngc7635-advice-help-appreciated.html#post1855680 last week and whilst my processing skills are still lacking CW managed to pull more detail out of the Bubble further down the post, so the camera is clearly picking it up.

Archived