NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Berlebach wooden tripods for astronomy

First Light Optics are now offering Berlebach wooden tripods for astronomy mounts :)

Wood has a number of properties that make it an excellent choice for supporting astronomy mounts. Not only does it look fantastic and is warm to the touch but Ash wood in particular has excellent vibration damping characteristics, which is why it is used for hammer handles and Berlebach tripods.

If you are familiar only with steel pipe tripods then you are in for a treat!

We currently have the three most popular models in stock for overnight delivery and are entering them into our website. First up is the Berlebach Planet, Berlebach's largest and most stable wooden tripod so perfect for the Skywatcher EQ6 series of mounts.

berlebach_planet_tripod_eq6.jpg

Please note: When comparing prices, our Berlebach tripods are supplied with accessory tray, spreader chain, double clamps for extra security and both spiked and plastic feet.

We'll update this thread with the other models soon.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we also have the Uni-18 for both HEQ5 and EQ6 here on the shelves, they will appear on our website and in this thread later today and we shall increase the range held in stock as the season approaches.

We also need to start taking our own photos as the regular stock pix don't do them justice.

These are really nice products.. Do you have a EQ5/HEQ5/GP price Steve?
Oh "bother", now I want one of the UNI-18s for my Skytee 2 mount. :D

The Berlebach Uni-18 is now listed at our website and both the HEQ5 and EQ6 versions are in stock ;)

The Uni-18 will also fit the Skywatcher Skytee-2.

As with the Berlebach Planet, the Uni-18 is supplied with accessory tray, spreader chain, double clamps for extra security and both spiked and plastic feet.

berlebach_uni-18_tripod_heq5_eq6.jpg

HTH,

Steve

I got a Uni 18 for use with a Vixen GPDX. Eventually sold the mount along with the tripod and instantly regretted it. Now have another, supplied by FLO. They are beautiful tripods and certainly add significantly to the overall stability of the set up.

How would you rate the uni18 v the 1.75 steel leg tripod that comes with EQ5 for vibration reduction guys?

Think of it this way Rob, would you swop the ash handle on your hammer for a steel pipe? ;)

These tripods will be great. I was lucky enough to get a hardwood home made one and it carries my CG-5 (bought from FLO:p) and Evostar F8 6" Frac really well. The original CG-5 steel pipe tripod is actually rather good as it is 2" so beefier than the EQ5 ones, but even so, the wooden one is significantly better.

My guess is that the Ash of the Berlebachs will be even better!

cheers

Dave;)

I agree that wooden tripods are superb and although I have never used one, these are top notch. you can tell by just looking at them.

I made my own which although not as aesthetically good as these certainly works very well.

We'll update this thread with the other models soon.

I've my 4" refractor on a Report 3012 which at 3.4kg is less than half the weight of the Uni 18. When/if I upgrade to a larger scope the Uni range would be the way I'd go.

Beautifully made tripods.

Col

Thank-you chaps ;)

We have been asked whether it is necessary to 'treat' the wood. Normally the finish put on during manufacture is all that is required but if you routinely leave it outside in the sun or rain it would benefit from the occasional wipe with a good wax or furniture polish. Easy :D

HTH,

Steve

Thank-you John, your pic is better than the stock photo as it shows the double-clamps and chain. I have replaced our image with yours, it should also show here in this thread.

Much appreciated ;)

Thank-you John, your pic is better than the stock photo as it shows the double-clamps and chain. I have replaced our image with yours, it should also show here in this thread.

Much appreciated ;)

Your welcome

Here's a photo with the Skytee 2 with ADM saddles.

John

Question for you Steve, do you have access to taller than average tripods? I find most tripods I see round the place are so low I end up sore after a nights bending over and squinting into the ep.

Sorry to bust in on the thread, I've tried to stay sort of on topic.

Alan

• 4 months later...

ummm....these sure are nice Steve. Will these help improve the PE on an EQ6 by dampening any resonance or do they just help kill vibrations from passers-by wobbling the scope whilst out imaging?

Also, one of the things that bugs me about the spreader on the standard EQ tripods is that after you've levelled to 0.05degrees, you put the head on and tighten up the spreader and it pushes the legs out..! Would these prevent that frustration?

....I've just looking to upgrade my WANT to a NEED...that's all!

;)

There is no doubt a wooden tripod will do a better job of suppressing vibration, particularly these made from Ash. Ash is the wood chosen for hammer handles because it does such a good job of absorbing the shock from hammering a nail! It is also nice to be around and warm to the touch. It is very difficult to convey that in a photograph.

you put the head on and tighten up the spreader and it pushes the legs out..! Would these prevent that frustration?
Yes, the large screw/knob that fixes the mount onto the tripod is not connected in any way to the tray or legs so you will not have any problems there ;)

HTH,

Steve

Archived