NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It`s all starting to come together :)

AndyDix

Well have imaged my first DSO`s tonight.

After a couple of sessions getting the hang of polar allignment and viewing a few bits and pieces via the goto system I decided to try my hand with the Dslr. I pointed the scope at M57 took a 1min test sub and there it was !!!!!! I was soooo excited.

So ended up with about an hours worth of subs/darks of M57 then moved on to M51 again took a 1min test sub and it was 2 out of 2.

I will stack all the subs 2morrow and post my first attempt here.

Sorry to ramble on but I am soooooo excited right now !!!

Thanks for listening

Andy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Andy :)

I'm in the same position, i.e. just about got the hang of it now and now just need to spend the time actually capturing subs.

By the autumn I think I'll have this imaging lark nailed. Only a week to go until it starts to get darker at night again :)

Cheers

Ian

Just had a play around with the other subs I got lastnight. I really dont know what I am doing but I came up with this.

Took me sbout an hour playing with DST and Photoshop.

I know its probably isnt any good but I am buzzing here just messing around with it. My god this hobby is addictive :)

Am I on the right track?

post-25903-133877618604_thumb.jpg

I like the first one :)

try using just the levels slider to darken the back ground.. even though the target is small in a wide field it adds a certain mystery to why its there.. :)

This is a great start, Andy, the data you've caught is actually very good indeed, just needs a tweak in an image processing program to release a bit more. Hope you don't mind but I have done just that:-

Whoa that looks sooo much better.

Thanks all for your comments.

I am itching to get back out there the forcast for the weekend is terrible.

Any advice as to a larger object that I can aim to image with the enquipment I have listed in my sig?

I have just found a few of the primers on here and with the "fininshing" section of "Making every photon count" am going to try follow the tutorials and see what I get.

Regards

Andy

You certainly tried for a small object with M57 and the 600mm focal length of your refractor! NGC7000 (The North America Nebula) springs to mind but with an unmodified DSLR you would be better off waiting for the deeper nights in a couple of months time to have a crack at this one but keep it on your list for later.

The globular cluster M13 would be worth a try but leave it late when it is well into the west - again, not a big object but fine for your system and no nebulosity to worry about. The beautiful double, Albireo, would be worth a punt but to capture the contrasting colours, be careful not to overexpose the shots.

Lovely image, Andy; lovely to begin with, but even lovelier after Steve worked his magic.

I've said before how much I like objects sitting in a deep bed of stars, and this is just the ticket.

I've never had much luck imaging M57 to my satisfaction, but I have a fondness for it, because it was the first object I ever found using setting circles (anybody remember those? :))

The globular cluster M13 would be worth a try but leave it late when it is well into the west - again, not a big object but fine for your system and no nebulosity to worry about. The beautiful double, Albireo, would be worth a punt but to capture the contrasting colours, be careful not to overexpose the shots.

How about M31? She's starting to emerge now, if you don't mind waiting up a bit. I know that was one of my first targets, and really got me buzzing. Nebulosity, sure, but plenty of "stuff" to seek out in the images, and mess around with.

Hi Andy,

I'm no astro-imager..(purely an observer), but I'm just loving following this thread! :)

Your enthusiasm for your newly found love of AP comes across in spades..:) (Your excitement is infectious.) It's great to see people enjoying this hobby in so many different ways! ( Almost makes me wonder...about the 'dark side'....almost!B))

Really looking forward to following your new ventures....looks like you've made a fantastic start!!

Good luck, and clear skies.

Vicky.

Well said, Vicky:)...

I too am visual only, but really like some of these images on here, and the enthusiasm from Andy is quite catching.

And I was glad someone asked what a sub was...saved me looking and feeling really stupid:D..

Keep it up Andy, lovely part of Wales you are in too!

Dave

Again thanks for the replies :)

Vicky, Go on you know you want to :)

Dave, Its great down here nice and dark as well..

With regards to M31 it was on the list I first put together.

Along with

M51,M90,M32,M110,M57,M31,M13 and M81.

I spent a few nights going through the threads here and drew up a list then visited Stellarium to see if the objects were anywere within reach from my back garden.

Cant wait to get out there and get stuck in !!!

Steve, I tried a few test shots on Albireo. I will post what I got when I get onto the other computer. How do they get thier stars to have that star shape as opposed to the fat round things I seem to get ?

Cheers all

Andy

Archived